Hot Topics

Internet Connection Keeps Dropping Out

RegScriv 10:19 28 Aug 2015

Since I've upgraded to W10 my Internet connection drops out after a short period of browsing. I've checked the driver for the ethernet adaptor - my router is connected by ethernet cable - the system indicates the latest driver. Any ideas?

RegScriv 12:19 28 Aug 2015

Thanks for your response rdave13. Already done that. Just in case, I've also powered down my router and powered it back up again to allow it to re-set.

Just.me 20:05 28 Aug 2015

I had a similar problem which has now disappeared since I installed a free program called shutup10 click here program allows you to choose what data windows10 can download from your computer.

This

RegScriv 21:49 28 Aug 2015

Interesting looking app Just.me. I may well try that one. On a similar note, I've been into Settings/Privacy/"Apps that Run in the Background" and switched off all of them. None of them need to be running in the background & there's dozens of them. I'm particularly suspicious of Edge running in the background. I suspect that it's interfering with Chrome.

Just.me 22:16 28 Aug 2015

If you try the program you just might be surprised by the sheer quantity and variety of the data which Microsoft want to collect so that they can sell it on to advertisers who will then deliver targeted adverts to your computer.

I switched off almost everything except the information Microsoft need to deliver updates. In my opinion, they don't need to know who I send emails to or which sites I visit and my personal information should be just that. That is just some of what they collect. Try reading windows10 terms and conditions (all 43 pages of them) to get the full list.

RegScriv 09:38 29 Aug 2015

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a go.

RegScriv 14:13 31 Aug 2015

Just to let you know, I've downloaded ShutUp and run it, using the setting for recommended changes. Thanks for the tip.

Just.me 15:41 31 Aug 2015

RegScriv

Thank you for letting me know it worked for you too.

So many people do not let those offering advice know whether it worked or not.The information that it worked for you may also help others.

RegScriv 09:28 01 Sep 2015

To update you on my experience so far; I lost my calendar and my Windows Mail new mail. I've been back into ShutUp and switched back the elements pertaining to mail and calendar and now I've got them back. Thought you'd like to know.

DellMercant 08:20 10 Sep 2015

Check it through application........Check Internet Connection

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Resident Evil 3 review

Online portfolios: how to get your work out there while staying in

Apple 'to drop support for Apple Watch Series 2'

Les meilleurs gadgets high-tech pour voitures (2020)