Intermittent start-up problems

The Real Fizz 11:08 20 Mar 2004

Over the last week I have experienced some problems with my computer turning on. Sometimes it just asks me to load the boot disk??? and sometimes it just says that it cant find the hard drives. Due to my vast technical knowledge, I generally just turn it off again and try later!
Do you think my hard drive is on the way out or can you suggest other possibilites?
I am running XP Home.
Thanks

Steven135 11:14 20 Mar 2004

Try running checkdisk this has happened to me a couple of times and checkdisc has sorted it. Or you could do a system restore to a point before the problem occured.

The Real Fizz 11:18 20 Mar 2004

Errrr, due to my vast knowledge of computers i may need pointing in the right direction for where EXACTLY to find checkdisk!
Sorry!

Steven135 14:34 20 Mar 2004

Go to My Computer right click on the C drive Icon choose properties then tools then error-checking then check now, tick automatically fix errors and start, it will ask you if you want to run it on your next re-start click yes and re-start your PC

Steven135 14:35 20 Mar 2004

Go to My Computer right click on the C drive Icon choose properties then tools then error-checking then check now, tick automatically fix errors and start, it will ask you if you want to run it on your next re-start click yes and re-start your PC

Steven135 14:35 20 Mar 2004

oops!

The Real Fizz 15:10 20 Mar 2004

Oops, now can't get on my computer to try that as is asking for me to inset the boot disk, something which i don't have! People like me just shouldn't be allowed to have computers!!
Will try again later Steve and maybe it will start next tme after a 'rest'!
Thanks anyway

The Real Fizz 23:35 21 Mar 2004

Thanks Steve, had no option but to put in a new hard drive in the end. Thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?