Intermittent problems accessing AOL email account

stlucia2 07:20 23 Nov 2018

At home I use Thunderbird to manage and access my email accounts on my windows 10 PC, a couple of which are with AOL. No errors are shown when I open Thunderbird and receive email, but more often than not I get an error message saying the sending account name or password is wrong when I try to send a message (either written from scratch, or replying to one just received) from my AOL account.

When away from home I use the default email program on my Apple iPad, and often get the same message when trying to send from my AOL account.

In both cases retrying later the message will go, but it might take several attemps or, sometimes, a reboot of my PC or iPad. Is this a common AOL issue, and is there a work-around? I haven't gone into the setup screen to re-enter the account name or password because (a) it works later, so that can't be the problem and (b) I risk screwing things up by mistakenly inputting the wrong password.

rdave13 16:36 23 Nov 2018

I don't use Thunderbird but have been having problems with an android tablet asking to log in to AOL mail again even though it's supposed to be the main email app on the machine. Since Yahoo and AOL mail merged, now called 'Oath' , last year I think, I'm slowly ditching Aol mail. Not as dependable as it once was In my humble opinion and have been using it since the AOL CDs were around everywhere :)

MJS WARLORD 17:49 23 Nov 2018

hi stulcia2 , don't panic and don't alter anything , I am on thunderbird and it is linked to my bt server . Every so often thunderbird and bt server don't seem to want to communicate with each other , this happens on my pc and on my tablet. if you cant get thunderbird to talk to your server just log into the email part of your aol account until it sorts itself out.

stlucia2 06:09 24 Nov 2018

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like it's just one of those little annoyances we have to learn to live with.

I've been with AOL ever since I was using a dial-up connection and, as you say rdave13, it seems to be getting a little less reliable of late. I have a Google and Outlook address too, but AOL is my main one and is the one that banks and credit cards etc. use if I forget my passwords. I don't seem to have a problem receiving emails though, so I think I'll stick with the status quo at the moment.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?