Intel Driver Update Utility help. What board??

Thurrafork 12:45 08 Oct 2015

Hello folks

Every time I try the Intel Driver Update Utility it fails to find any results.

(Of course this could be because I'm all up to date but in the past I've ran a scan when I know for sure new chipset drivers have been released and it still never found anything).

Googling reveals that a number of people have this problem, and the suggestion always seems to be click the 'Search manually' button.

But when I do this I don't recognize any of the options.

I'm probably being dim, but Intel's naming conventions confound me!

I have an X99 board. An AsRock X99 Extreme6 to be specific.

Is that a series C610 board? (Some entries in Device Manager suggest this.)

Is this a series 8 board?

In the Driver Update Utility > Search Manually menu I choose Intel 8 Series Chipset Boards. The options are boards with names like DB85FL, DH87MC, DZ87KLT-75K. Haven't a clue what any of those are!

So I try 7 Series, but that points to another lots of DQ prefixed boards. 6 Series points to DH prefixes.

I don't know what any of this stuff is!

I have an X99 board. How do I look for things relevant to X99?

Is X99: 8 Series? C610 Series? Something with a DH/DQ/DZ etc prefix?

Help!

Thanks. :)

Govan1x 12:50 08 Oct 2015

Maybe download speccy that will show you what you have on your computer.

Free Version

Jollyjohn 12:58 08 Oct 2015

Another option is to open the case and see what is printed on your motherboard, note Version number as well.

Thurrafork 13:36 08 Oct 2015

I'll give speccy a go. It just seems odd - I built this machine myself last month after researching each component fairly thoroughly. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of what was in my machine!

Thurrafork 13:45 08 Oct 2015

Yes as expected, Speccy doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know:

Asrock X99 Extreme6 Intel Chipset. Haswell-E

These are the kind of naming conventions I'm familiar with.

None of the options in Update Utility seem to be listed via these naming conventions.

Thanks for the suggestion though. And speccy is a nice little utility!

Any more help would be very welcome!

Thanks

Thurrafork 19:02 08 Oct 2015

Already have...

click here of it's over a year old!

To be honest, it's not so much about 'where can I get my drivers'. I'm sure I'll pick them all up from somewhere eventually. It's more about how these things are labelled/categorised. I'm reasonably tech savvy - I've built several solid PC systems over the years - but this has always baffled me.

As I said, I have an X99 board, to go nicely with my i7 5820K.

A logical step is to go to the the Intel download centre. Various options in the dropdown box of the first category - I choose Desktop Boards. The next dropdown box is full of Intel 6 Series, 7 Series, 8 Series and the like. Not really sure so I work through each of them, each prompting another dropdown box of ever more unfamiliar nomenclature!

If I look X99 up on Wikipedia there's lots of info but I can't find anything that corresponds X99 chipsets to any of these other naming systems I've seen.

I have it in my head that X99 might be Series 8. Is that true?

Thanks

...most

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)