Insufficient Bandwidth Message watching iplayer

ponytail 09:39 17 Apr 2018

My wife watches BBC iplayer on her laptop and just recently the programme she is watching keeps stopping saying insufficient bandwidth.This happened occasionally when I have been watching BBC iplayer on the TV but it seems to happen more on my wifes laptop.Does anyone know causes this and is there something I can do to stop it.Thanks

rdave13 09:47 17 Apr 2018

Check your download speed, Ookla is as good as any. This is from the BBC, click here.

wee eddie 10:23 17 Apr 2018

It means what it says. Check the contract you have with your ISP.

There is insufficient bandwidth for you to watch 2 TV Programs simultaneously. This sometimes happens at peak periods when your branch of the Internet is experiencing heavy usage.

Sometimes an ISP will slow your Download Speed to balance things out. The term for this is "Throttling"

difarn 10:44 17 Apr 2018

If it is due to insuficient bandwidth then have you thought about downloading the programmes to watch them later off-line?

ponytail 13:03 17 Apr 2018

I have just used speedtest.net to check my download speed on this laptop and took four readings which were. 34.87,30.42,34.96 and 32.99 and the average is 33.31 which is not bad for a wireless connection.Will try it wired later and put the readings on here.

difarn 21:54 17 Apr 2018

Obviously not a bandwidth problem.

If it has been doing this recently there are quite a few problems being reported on downdetector.uk

click here be this is happening in your area too?

May

ponytail 09:06 18 Apr 2018

Have just checked my broadband speed with the laptop wired up and the readings were. 38.19,37.90,38.28 and 37.96 with a average of 38.07.I have been told there should be a download button to enable me to download the programs but seem unable to locate it where would it be located.Thanks

rdave13 10:59 18 Apr 2018

It might be your browser needs it's cache clearing. If you're using Chrome click here for info. If you can untick 'passwords' so you don't have to log in to sites again that makes it easier. Other browsers have their own ways in settings.

I don't use Ccleaner but if you do then try that.

wee eddie 11:34 18 Apr 2018

I don't know what time of day this happened but, if it was about mid-evening, you can relax. Your ISP was throttling your connection so that other individuals can also watch.

Two of you Streaming TV Shows at a "High Usage" time of day, when you have a relatively low download limit/speed, appears to be common these days

ponytail 13:07 18 Apr 2018

This would have happened after 8.00pm when I checked the download speed on her laptop wirelessly the average sped was 24.22.And all we are doing is I am watching catchup on the TV and she is watching a program on BBC iplayer no otherequipment is being used.

wee eddie 14:11 18 Apr 2018

Speed is not an issue when dealing with Bandwidth.

Bandwidth is the amount you can download at any given time, speed is how fast it arrives.

Also, when you checked the speed, you should have done so while both Computers were viewing the TV Shows. iPlayer or Live Streaming, it makes little difference.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs