Installing XP (well, trying!)...

mike2004 00:09 23 Oct 2005

I’m trying to install XP office edition on my home desktop and keep getting the message 'video mode not supported' in a dialogue box that 'fly’s' slowly round the screen. I am upgrading from windows 2000 (home edition) to windows XP (office edition). I am told they are incompatible but if I boot with the CD in the machine it might be ok... but, no, I get the message described above. Any ideas?.

AndySD 01:27 23 Oct 2005

Ahh I think you mean Windows XP Professional

Please confirm its the operating system you are updating.

tarkus 01:34 23 Oct 2005

not sure what you've got there but there is no such thing as Windows XP Office edition, windows xp (either home or pro) is the operating system and office xp is a seperate program that includes Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.Are you saying that you are trying to install Microsoft Office XP onto a system that is running Windows 2000 pro (there was no such thing as Windows 2000 home) can you please confirm as will then be more able to help you.

I have seen that message on a XP Media Centre PC.

Only certain graphics cards have the spec to run properly with Media centre edition.

mike2004 22:50 23 Oct 2005

Sorry for cofusing you!... I mean I am trying to instal Windows XP Professional.

Regards,

Mike

splork 23:03 23 Oct 2005

what graphics card/on board VGA?

alan227 23:15 23 Oct 2005

Have you been into the BIOS to make sure the CD/DVD drive is set to first boot?.

Have you been into the BIOS to make sure the CD/DVD drive is set to first boot?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?