Installing Windows XP - ERROR

websurfowen 23:17 31 Mar 2006

I have tried to reinstall windows xp onto my computer but each time it saying 'pid invalid'

Does anyone know why or how i can fix this problem. Its running on a windows 98 computer

phono 23:25 31 Mar 2006

PID means Product ID, it is basically telling you that the key you are trying to use is not valid. You are either using the wrong key or a pirated one.

websurfowen 23:27 31 Mar 2006

I am using the same one as i have used on the computer before. Would i be doing something wrong or would microsoft know that it has been used before as i am not connected to the internet

terryf 23:28 31 Mar 2006

Googled and found click here and click here

terryf 23:30 31 Mar 2006

Are you allowing the xp installation to re-format your C drive so that there are no traces of Win 98?

bluto1 23:36 31 Mar 2006

" running on a Windows 98 computer" indicates to me that you`re trying to install, not reinstall, and if you do not have the correct key you may as well stay legal.

phono 23:38 31 Mar 2006

It is possible he is dual-booting.

websurfowen 23:39 31 Mar 2006

I have already had it installed but download a virus. It wont clear up using a mc afee virus scan as it says it copyright protected. Have wiped the hard drive but wont accept the product key. Unless i have made a mistake while writing it down on paper. Is there any way to recover this??

bluto1 23:40 31 Mar 2006

websurfowen, sorry, I did`nt know it had already been installed on your PC

websurfowen 23:43 31 Mar 2006

I have tryed to use the product key from this computer on the computer i am trying to install and its still saying 'PID Invalid' Could there be something wrong, would the virus have done something

phono 23:54 31 Mar 2006

Are you trying to install XP on more that one computer? If so you will not be able to, unless it is a version that is licensed to do so, such as a Volume License Key version.

Having said that, you should only run into problems when you try to activate windows, not when trying to install it.

If you are having a problem with a full install then the key you are entering is the wrong key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts