Installing Windows Xp

Nassa 23:11 26 May 2006

Two questions for you guys, please reply.

1. Is it possible to install a fresh copy of Windows XP without a bootable CD-ROM drive and Floppy drive? I want to install windows XP, but without a CDROM drive and Floppy drive on the laptop, is there any other way?

2. When installing Windows XP on another computer, I get to the setup stages and suddenly get an error "iaStor.sys could not be found" how can I resolve this? The system restarts after the message appears.

Thankyou for any help you can provide.

richard929 23:22 26 May 2006

WELCOME TO AOL!

DieSse 00:16 27 May 2006

"iaStor.sys could not be found"

This is a SATA/Raid file - do you have such a configuration - do you have any drivers on a floppy disk for the SATA controller?

*Is it possible to install a fresh copy of Windows XP without a bootable CD-ROM drive and Floppy drive?*

It might be possible with a bootable flash drive - but is this an old system, or just a laptop? Easiest way is probably just to find a floppy drive to use.

Nassa 09:43 27 May 2006

"It might be possible with a bootable flash drive - but is this an old system, or just a laptop? Easiestway is probably just to find a floppy drive to use"

Could I use a flash drive? As long as I set it to boot from the drive at the BIOS configuration? The computer I want to install the new Windows XP into doesnt have a bootable CD-ROM drive, but doesnt have a floppy disk drive at all...

DieSse 10:59 27 May 2006

Does it have a CD Drive?

If it does, can you not set the BIOS to boot from it?

Can you set the BIOS to boot from a flash drive? - If you can, you can almost certainly set it to boot from a CD drive too.

If it's a tower system, a floppy drive is such a tiny cost, it's worth getting one - there'll be other uses for it.

If it's a laptop, then external floppies are not too expensive also.

My supposition about booting from a flash drive is based on getting the floppy boot programs, transferring them to a flash drive, and modifying them. Won't be easy, and although I had a quick look yesterday I didn't find a flash drive boot up installer for XP. Have a look around, and I will too, but only if you confirm that you can boot from a flash drive, and the other methods are just not possible.

bremner 11:03 27 May 2006

If the BIOS does not support a CD Rom to be a boot option it will almost certainly not support USB as a boot option.

Nassa 11:08 27 May 2006

I can set it to boot from the CD-ROM drive but the CD-ROM drive is broken anyway and Im getting a replacement soon. Im gonna try to boot from an external floppy disk drive to see what happens. Thanks for all the help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:28 27 May 2006

XP on a USB on a flash drive click here

Nassa 14:33 27 May 2006

Fruit Bat thanks a million you've solved all my problems! Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?