Installing windows on a new PC?

BEepeear 10:47 25 Nov 2016

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a custom build pc which met all my demands but it doesn't come with any OS installed.

I had the idea that you could just complete install it pretty straight forwardly, however after looking it up I realised it's kind of hard to understand what to do!

I have read a few people saying buy a product code and then install it via USB but you have to install something from windows first?

Or buy the CD and install it that way (at a higher cost)

What would you guys recommend and what is the process of installing Windows 10 onto a computer with no OS?

Thank you! And apologies for being a tech noob

Jollyjohn 12:45 25 Nov 2016

My first call would be to the company that supplied the PC, can they supply W10 on a dvd or usb stick, with licence key, at a reasonable price..

Alternatively go click here - If you go here you will need to download the iso file and burn it to a dvd - this will then give you a bootable dvd which you pop into the PC and boot. Installation is then a case of following the on screen prompts, enter the provided licence key when prompted to do so.

The link is to an OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer version, as usually supplied only with a new PC. Technically the licence is for that PC only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Disintegration preview

Nexus Studios on how to make the perfect animation showreel and portfolio

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Apple Watch Series 5 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs