Installing old harddisk in new system

Al-Cat 21:19 31 May 2007

This has proably been answered before but I can't find a reference to it. The situation is as follows:-

I have a working 160Gb hard disk taken out of an Acer machine which I don't have anymore. I have upgraded to a new Acer which is pre-installed with Vista. However my wife has a number of very expensive embroidery applications which are incompatable with Vista only running on all variants of XP and no chance of a patch being issued, they want us to shell out £950 on a complete new version of the software. The new machine will boot from a USB caddy, so my solution would be to keep the new hard disk in the system with Vista on it and to boot when needed from the old HD as a USB drive. This way I don't violate any warranty conditions. However what do I have to do to ensure the old hard disk will boot in the new system? I know drivers will not be the same but there must be a way around this. It will be a real hastle to have to wipe the new HD, loose Vista and re-install XP and all the old applications, or to just keep the new HD with Vista and fit the old HD in the case and again re-install.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:05 31 May 2007

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here
Remove the drivers and if you have a driver CD run that as soon as XP loads.

johnnyrocker 23:07 31 May 2007

why not put the old hard drive in a caddy and access as and when?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?