Installing apps no longer available on MS Store

boney80 17:09 07 Nov 2018
Answered

Is there a way to install apps that are no longer available via the Microsoft Store?

Specifically, I want The Guardian newspaper app which was "retired" late last year.

I still have the app installed on my desktop PC, and it continues to work... but a recent laptop upgrade means I no longer have it on my laptop, and I can't find any way to install it.

I appreciate that the app is no longer updated, but providing it still functions, I'd like to continue using it.

Is there any way to get it back?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:45 07 Nov 2018

click here it is here if you really want it click here

but

rdave13 17:57 07 Nov 2018

Closest I can find is The Guardian news feed.

boney80 18:50 07 Nov 2018

While I appreciate the replies, neither are helpful.

Surely there must be a workaround to install old apps. I can't be the only person who has ever needed to do this.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:04 07 Nov 2018

Have you looked at the links I posted?

the first is from Guardian saying why they discontinued the app and the second is a link where you can still download the app.

MJS WARLORD 22:34 07 Nov 2018

I recently phoned the Microsoft store helpline , I have been looking for the number for you but sorry I mislaid it , anyways like you I could not find the app I wanted to download to a new pc , the guy I spoke to said if its not on its because we don't support it anymore.

It is not just Microsoft that pull programs they no longer with to support , whenever I download ANY app or game installer I always make a copy to pen drive of an uninstalled version of them , that way if somebody discontinues marketing something I still have the option to use it.

why not try this click here place it on your favorites bar

and

boney80 02:04 08 Nov 2018

@Fruit Bat - Yes, I looked at the links. The first said it was being "retired", which is exactly what I wrote in the original post. The second is the old download page that clearly says "The Guardian is currently not available." Does it say something different for you?

@MJS WARLORD - Again, thanks for the reply but it doesn't help me. I appreciate the suggestion but I am already aware of The Guardian website. I want the app. It wasn't an app that I ever recall having an executable installer for; it was all installed via Microsoft Store, so there's nothing I could have saved (I don't think so anyway.)

Matt Berry 18:12 09 Nov 2018
Answer
  boney80 22:08 10 Nov 2018

Thanks Matt Berry. That seems to have worked. I searched all over. I don't know how I managed to miss that video.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France