Installing '98 SE on laptop?

[DELETED] 16:47 01 Sep 2003

Hi All

I've just acquired a Dell laptop with swappable floppy/CD-ROM drives, and no operating system. The question is, how on earth do I install one? I've tried booting directly from the CD (won't work). I've booted from a floppy disc, but when I try to load CD-ROM drivers or start setup, this won't work because a CD drive is not detected. Does anyone know how to get around this?

[DELETED] 16:50 01 Sep 2003

Did you choose "with CD-ROM support"?

[DELETED] 16:54 01 Sep 2003

"I've tried booting directly from the CD (won't work)" have you set the BIOS to boot from CD?

[DELETED] 16:55 01 Sep 2003

When you say you've tried booting from CD, did you make changes within the BIOS to boot from CD.
I seem to remember my son's Panasonic laptop has that option.

xania 17:04 01 Sep 2003

I've come across this before - most of our corporates were mirrored an, I suspect, this was how yours was used previously. I have a thought. Boot from a Windows 98 bootable floppy then (so that you also copy the CD drivers), at the a: prompt type

sys c:
Now copy all the remainder of the floppy to the root of the C:\drive.

You should now be able to replace your floppy with the CD and reboot to install Windows (but first reformat C:\ so that WIndows can install a clean system.

If this does not work, I suspect you will need to install either and external floppy or an external CD before you can proceed.

[DELETED] 17:58 01 Sep 2003

Thanks all - yes I did change the BIOS settings - it's the Windows disc which won't allow the system to boot. I took Xania's advice and copied the system files to the C drive, and I now have access to a C prompt and have copied the CD drivers but I'm still having difficulty in loading the drivers correctly to get the system to recognise the drive.

Diemmess 18:11 01 Sep 2003

Daring to jump in........ Did you copy W98 to a new directory on C:?

If you didn't, delete all that you have put on C: and make a new folder first ( C\Win98 ).

Then copy all W98 files to this new folder....... Now you can move to the c\Win98 prompt and type setup

[DELETED] 18:15 01 Sep 2003

Xania's solution did the trick! The first time I tried I didn't copy all the files required to the C drive, but after 'sys'ing drive C, then copying all the other files from my boot disk I managed to bring up the options that the boot disc normally gives without needing the floppy drive in place. Attached the CD-ROM drive and now we're up and running!

Thanks all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

42 Tips for How to Make Digital Artworks That Look Hand-made

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures séries Amazon Prime Video (2018)