installed malwareytes BSofD how can I get beyond

ened 08:27 25 Nov 2018
Answered

Last night I installed Malwarebytes (As I have routinely done over the years with no problem) and within minutes Windows 7 shut down and will not boot beyond the Desktop for a couple of minutes then shuts down.

I have tried the advice given here: click here but the final line in the Command Prompt said: 'Unsuccessful etc'.

I have tried System Restore: also successful.

I tried : Last known good configuration: No joy there either.

I am fairly sure that Malwarebytes is the problem but booting into Safe Mode takes away the use of Add/Remove Programs so: is there any other way I can remove it?

Is there any other software, that I can download and run from a USB stick in Safe Mode, that will help me?

rdave13 10:49 25 Nov 2018

Not used Win 7 in years but remembered that it has a startup folder that's easy to get to and found this link so do the opposite with Malwarebytes and delete it from the start-up folder in safe mode. You could also try msconfig and stop MBAM starting with Windows. Then try to boot normally. Find their removal tool and uninstall it cleanly in normal mode.

MJS WARLORD 12:05 25 Nov 2018

I have used Malwarebytes for years without a problem and recently put it on my spare w7 pc after doing a full reboot ….. no problems

don't be offended , are you sure you downloaded Malwarebytes , the is a rogue program called Malawarebytes , look at the extra "A" in the spelling.

MJS WARLORD 12:05 25 Nov 2018

I have used Malwarebytes for years without a problem and recently put it on my spare w7 pc after doing a full reboot ….. no problems

don't be offended , are you sure you downloaded Malwarebytes , the is a rogue program called Malawarebytes , look at the extra "A" in the spelling.

ened 09:12 28 Nov 2018

rdave13 Good morning and thank you for the suggestion. I followed the instructions on your link but the 'Startup' folder is empty. I had also opened MSCONFIG and Malwarebytes is not listed there [Start either.

I am going to try removing Avast (or at least stop it from starting) in case there is a conflict but would also appreciate any other suggestions.

ened 09:21 28 Nov 2018

Turned off Avast and that made no difference. Does anyone know if it is possible to disable Malwarebytes by using the Command Prompt?

rdave13 11:52 28 Nov 2018
Answer

Just in case you missed it, in System Configuration (msconfig) , look under the Services tab and not the start-up tab. Check the box to hide all Microsoft services.

Otherwise it looks like a repair install unless other suggestions available.

rdave13 12:07 28 Nov 2018

Just remembered that you can only start in safe mode so the service won't be running anyway. Have a look at trying a clean-boot option to troubleshoot.

ened 12:41 28 Nov 2018

Progress - thank you so much. I have followed your advice and managed to stop it running.

I tried to uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs but Access is denied: Error 5.

Is there a download that can help me because I can't seem to access the Malwarebytes site?

ened 12:51 28 Nov 2018

Their website appears to be a dead end. There appears to be a Log In button but no way to register.

Do you know of any other site that will provide the removal tool?

ened 13:00 28 Nov 2018

There is no folder in the Start Menu (maybe because I have disabled it or maybe it was never there) but I looked in c:\Program files:

In the Malwarebytes folder there is the following file: unins000.exe.

Before I click on it I ought to know if this will help or make the situation worse.

Should I double click it?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?