Install OS onto new partition on HDD

ben_askew_ 08:11 15 Dec 2015

Hi there, I have a HDD that was previously just used for data, but I now wish to install Windows OS onto it on a new partition. I have an ISO installation disc, but was just wondering about how I go about installing it onto a separate partition. Can anyone help? Thanks =)

xania 12:13 15 Dec 2015

You will need to create a new partition on your HHD using a partition manager. There are free ones and ones you have to buy, and, of course you get what you pay for, but you might like to first try the one hidden in Windows 7. Here's a link that explains how to do it:

click here

robin_x 13:39 15 Dec 2015

Minitool Partition Wizard Free is excellent

You can also boot from the Windows Install DVD/USB Flash and when you get to the part where it asks which partition to Install to, just delete the first one or two partitions to give enough space.

Install to Unallocated.

=-=-=-=

If you don't want to be deleting stuff on the HDD, post a screenshot back here and give details of what exactly you have/want to keep.

robin_x 13:40 15 Dec 2015

I also have a feeling, you have to install to the HDD as the main drive, not 2nd or external drive.

Bailifei 08:38 18 Dec 2015

And one more important thing is to backup the whole hard drive before creating the new partition. Partition software would goes wrong some time, causing damage to your data on the hard drive. Free Easeus todo backup or Acronis true image are two good backup software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)