Inspiron 3847 Will not boot after a BIOS Update

SheonaB 16:57 27 Aug 2018

Hi,

I am looking for help but not very computer minded.

On Friday my pc restarted while doing a BIOS update and will no longer boot up. I have tried taking the side panel off and removing the battery but can not get it started at all. I can not get it in to safe mod either. The PC is over 4 years old so some of the videos on how to boot up after a restart while doing a BIOS update do not apply.

All I get is a an orange light instead of the normal white one, the orange light does a double flash.

I have been reading some of the comments on these pages and would like to check that it looks like I have to replace the motherboard to fix this problem. I am asking as I do not want to buy a motherboard if it is not likely to solve my problem.

Appreicate the help!

SheonaB

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 27 Aug 2018

disconnect all power leads - press and hold the power button for 20 seconds reconnect power and see what the light does then

Tr1boon 19:54 27 Aug 2018

Done already, multiple times to no avail. I have also reset the thing a few times and tried with multiple different cables. Nothing seems to help

Tr1boon 20:22 27 Aug 2018

Wrong thread... :D stupid me, sorry for the inconvenience

SheonaB 06:59 28 Aug 2018

Hi, I have also already tried that. Disconnected all power leads then pressed and held the power button for 20 seconds reconnected power but still the same. :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:20 28 Aug 2018

Are there any signs of life - fans running etc.?

Can you retry to flash the BIOS

Secret-Squirrel 11:39 28 Aug 2018

............some of the videos on how to boot up after a restart while doing a BIOS update do not apply.

I don't know what you saw in those videos but the usual way to initiate BIOS Recovery mode is to start the PC then immediately hold down the CTRL + ESC keys.

If you've already tried that then get in touch with Dell before you do anything else.

...........and would like to check that it looks like I have to replace the motherboard to fix this problem.

A new motherboard in certain situations will cause Windows Activation to fail and then you'll need to buy a new Windows licence. See what Dell have to say first as they may be able to fit a new BIOS chip for you.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs