Inspiron 3847 Will not boot after a BIOS Update

SheonaB 16:57 27 Aug 2018

Hi,

I am looking for help but not very computer minded.

On Friday my pc restarted while doing a BIOS update and will no longer boot up. I have tried taking the side panel off and removing the battery but can not get it started at all. I can not get it in to safe mod either. The PC is over 4 years old so some of the videos on how to boot up after a restart while doing a BIOS update do not apply.

All I get is a an orange light instead of the normal white one, the orange light does a double flash.

I have been reading some of the comments on these pages and would like to check that it looks like I have to replace the motherboard to fix this problem. I am asking as I do not want to buy a motherboard if it is not likely to solve my problem.

Appreicate the help!

SheonaB

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 27 Aug 2018

disconnect all power leads - press and hold the power button for 20 seconds reconnect power and see what the light does then

Tr1boon 19:54 27 Aug 2018

Done already, multiple times to no avail. I have also reset the thing a few times and tried with multiple different cables. Nothing seems to help

Tr1boon 20:22 27 Aug 2018

Wrong thread... :D stupid me, sorry for the inconvenience

SheonaB 06:59 28 Aug 2018

Hi, I have also already tried that. Disconnected all power leads then pressed and held the power button for 20 seconds reconnected power but still the same. :(

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:20 28 Aug 2018

Are there any signs of life - fans running etc.?

Can you retry to flash the BIOS

Secret-Squirrel 11:39 28 Aug 2018

............some of the videos on how to boot up after a restart while doing a BIOS update do not apply.

I don't know what you saw in those videos but the usual way to initiate BIOS Recovery mode is to start the PC then immediately hold down the CTRL + ESC keys.

If you've already tried that then get in touch with Dell before you do anything else.

...........and would like to check that it looks like I have to replace the motherboard to fix this problem.

A new motherboard in certain situations will cause Windows Activation to fail and then you'll need to buy a new Windows licence. See what Dell have to say first as they may be able to fit a new BIOS chip for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Camera Phones 2019

Adobe reveals Recolor for Illustrator - change an illustration instantly with real-world tones

Apple recalls wall plugs over safety fears, find out if you are affected

Rappel de sécurité Apple : adaptateurs avec prise murale