Infra red connection

anniesboy68 14:56 12 Apr 2005

Ive just bought a usb infra red adaptor to connect my laptop [which has infra red] to my main computer. Now what do I do as I have no idea. Can anyone enlighten me please, in language easy to understand. Anniesboy68, [now going on 72]
PS this has been posted under the networking forum but with no reply yet!

Yoda Knight 15:17 12 Apr 2005

did u get any software with the connector ?

Technotiger 15:25 12 Apr 2005

Hi, I have usb infra red too on my XP, I normally use it for my Nokia Mob Phone, but having read your question made me wonder too. I have a IBM Thinkpad with infra red, so I switched on laptop and held the infra red window close to the infra red on my PC - bingo, both infra red's activated automatically - no software needed.
First time I have ever done it too.

Cheers.

Technotiger 15:28 12 Apr 2005

Me again - continuing my experiment, I then clicked on the Ir icon on PC taskbar and a window came up giving me the oportunity to transfer files to laptop (and visa-versa with laptop).

So go ahead, it is really easy.

Cheers.

Technotiger 15:33 12 Apr 2005

Then, when you have finished and you move the laptop out of range of the PC both Ir's automatically disconnect.

btw, I am chasing 71, so not far behing you.

Cheers.

anniesboy68 15:38 12 Apr 2005

Yoda Knight..yes, its activated ok in device manager, problem is...I think with the laptop

anniesboy68 16:16 12 Apr 2005

Iv'e give up!!!!

Technotiger 16:25 12 Apr 2005

Iv'e give up!!!

Why? Have you followed my suggestions above?

Cheers.

Technotiger 16:49 12 Apr 2005

Me again. I have just successfully sent files to and from my PC to Laptop/Laptop to PC, using InfraRed.

I now know how - if you are having problems doing the same, let me know here and I will explain.

Cheers.

anniesboy68 17:08 12 Apr 2005

Technotiger... I have no icon/s in the taskbars on both pc and laptop. All indications show that everything is ok....but. I have tried what you say but nothing shows up.

anniesboy68 17:12 12 Apr 2005

PS when I say all indications show that everything is ok I mean that Device managers on both systems say everything is working ok. I have to go now [have a shower, going out tonight].Will perhaps continue tomorrow, with your help??? I will leave the cptr on for a reply....AB68

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)