Informer50/screnc.exe/virus/malware

the old man 22:41 23 Jan 2006

I have just run my weekly antivirus check with avast after updateing the virus database. The check threw up the above problem and added it to the virus chest. I googled firstly screnc.exe and it seems to be a command line utility and is in the MS database. I then googled 'informer50' and only 3 entries came up. click here

Has anyone come up against this virus/malware.

To VoG™ - have you come across this as the only things I have installed recently have been Jetaudio and Realalternative as we discussed a couple of days ago ref. Realplayer screen turning green on BBC website.

the old man 23:10 25 Jan 2006

anyone with any info please.

the old man 16:15 27 Jan 2006

anyone able to help?????????

VoG II 16:21 27 Jan 2006

There is nothing I can find that indicates that this file is malware. See click here

I have JetAudio and RealAlternative but I do not have this file so I don't think they are connected.

Skyver 16:24 27 Jan 2006

What antivirus program flagged it up? The spyware forum in one of your links suggested it was safe, and the file is apparently a `script encoder`, as you say , a Windows program. Sounds like a false positive or at the least nothing to worry about, especially if you have a firewall and remove any reference to that file in MSCONFIG (if it's there at all).

the old man 16:30 27 Jan 2006

Avast was the one that spotted it. Just a bit of a coincidence VoG™ that it seemed to appear fairly recently after I had installed the two programs you had recommended to me.
As you say seems that it is supposed to be safe as link shows which I had seen previously. Just seemed strange at the time that avast alarmed at it and it had not caused a problem before with avast or AVG which I have used in the past.
Heh ho. Experience I suppose it is called. Thanks fellas.

Skyver 16:33 27 Jan 2006

I've had Winrar SFX executables flagged as virus' in Avast before now, emailed them and it was fixed in an update about 8 hours later. I'm sure it wasn't just me that informed them, but I was mightily impressed, I'm only running the free version after all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts