Incremental Back-up - a few questions

wee eddie 21:16 06 Jun 2006

From what I gather, the first time around a copy is made of everything and thereafter only those files that have been altered are copied.

Q1. If a file has been deleted between the Base Copy and the current back-up. Is it also deleted?

Q2. When restoring an Incremental Back-up, I assume that you restore the Base Copy and then every following back-up to date?

Q3. How often would it be sensible to start again. e.g. Create a new Base Copy?

The reason for the questions - I have just installed a replacement External HDD which came with Dantz Retrospect and I have to decide whether to change my Back-up ways.

There may be other questions that I have not yet considered. Please feel free to answer them.

Incidentally. using the USB2 connection 48GB of Data took just short of 4 hours to Back-up and Verify. Should I consider using the Firewire connection?

wee eddie 16:39 12 Jun 2006

If I were to go the Incremental route.

A full restore would contain: The original Back-up + every Sub-back-up done since. Is that correct?

March Hare 17:56 12 Jun 2006

The Dantz software that came with my external hard drive (Maxtor) I found so user-unfriendly and difficult to understand and use, that I abandoned it.

I now use Acronis True Image 8, which is so fast (less than an hour for a full backup as stated above) that I don't bother with incrementals, I just do a full backup once a month.

wee eddie 23:12 12 Jun 2006

How simple is the Restore function?

wee eddie 23:27 12 Jun 2006

Acronis, Ghost, Dantz. Whichever.

I am trying to find out how often to make, what I am calling, a "Base Copy" from which to add the Incrementals.

amyfleur 23:30 12 Jun 2006

Bump - just earwigging. I too, need info. on this subject. Can't quite get my grey matter round the incrementals etc.

wee eddie 12:07 11 Jul 2006

but have ticked the Resolved button as no one else seems to know either!

Greengage 15:49 11 Jul 2006

Just as a footnote wee eddie, I was experiencing lengthy periods for Acronis to back up my drive to an external HDD like you. I solved this by taking it out of its caddie and installing as internal slave drive. This takes hardly any time at all. After each exercise I replace it in the caddie - I do not know why for I could leave it where it is, but perhaps I feel happier with the drive outside the machine rather than in should there be a severe crash! In any event I have got my Laptop back up on it as well.

wee eddie 22:33 11 Jul 2006

All I really have is a number of contradictory recommendations for whichever program the poster is satisfied with and running themselves.

So here they are again!

Q2. When restoring an Incremental Back-up, I assume that you restore the Base Copy and then every following back-up to date?

Q3. How often would it be sensible to start again. e.g. Create a new Base Copy?

If you have been running Acronis, incrementally, for 3 years what would one do?

wee eddie 23:18 13 Aug 2006

I think that one might have to consider creating a new base copy every year.

One also has to consider that two copies were advisable in case one copy became corrupted.

This is the route that I am investigating. It used to be common practice to run a 3 tier system.

Most folk that I know use Acronis, almost all say that it is a doddle to use, but none have had to restore a back-up on to the same disk, let alone a new PC, 'cos the old one gotten stolen or died.

knockin on 08:55 14 Aug 2006

wee eddie
"Most folk that I know use Acronis, ..... ...restore a back-up on to the same disk, let alone a new PC, 'cos the old one gotten stolen or died."
This is a different thing altogether.. I am sure I have read that backups only work to the original machine - something to do with the OS profiles?? Someone who knows more, please help wee eddie with this one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch