Increasing wireless range.

Epirb406 17:21 16 Nov 2003

Hi all I have a US Robotics PCI Wireless network card, networked with Laptop with PCMIA version of same thing.

I am finding range a bit limited, I live in an old house with thick brick walls and |I can understand that it is hard work for the cards.

I would like to increase the range without spending out on a 'base station'

Everything I have learned elsewhere tells me that lifting the ariel up wil increase range but short of mouning PC at ceiling height (is that illegal?) I can't without extending the ariel.

USR specifically don't sell extention kits, see click here

Does any one know if a different manufacturers external aeriel can be fitted, or the implications of making up an extention lead for myself?

Aerial specs are: USR2216 22 Mbps Wireless Access PCI Adapter
Removable dipole with Reverse Polarity SMA connector (2 dB maximum gain). PCI Card has male connector and antenna has female connector.

Mostly greek to me!

Any ideas?

Thanks, Epirb.

AubreyS 17:37 16 Nov 2003

Hi Epirb406.

I found this info:

U.S. Robotics Wireless Turbo Multi-Function Access Point is a professional-grade access point that has the power and features of being used as a high-performance client adapter for Windows and non-Windows devices. The access point includes five products in one—an Access Point, Bridge, Multi-Bridge, Client and Repeater. The repeater function relays signals across multiple access points for greater wireless range and coverage, and a powerful class-leading ARM9 processor allows for maximum data transfer in large, critical networks. The device is capable of bridging both wired and wireless networks, includes full SNMP management for network administration, and incorporates configurable transmit/receive power control for optimal network configuration.

On this site.

click here

I hope it is of use to you.

Epirb406 18:19 16 Nov 2003

Thanks for quick response but my idea is to save the £70-00 for an Access point and get away with a £5-00 extention lead.

The question is, are there any ttechnical reasons why I shouldn't and if not, how effective will it be,

Thanks, Epirb.

Epirb406 22:01 16 Nov 2003

:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?