INCREASING FSB SPEED. IS IT SAFE?

Sparky3153 15:07 11 Aug 2003

I HAVE AN OPTION WITHIN BIOS THAT ENABLES ME TO INCREASE THE CPU FRONT SIDE BUS SPEED FROM 133MHZ UPWARDS.
THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL STATES THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO INCREASE THE SPEED SAFELY BUT IM NOT SO SURE.
IM RUNNING A PENTIUM 4 (2.66GHZ) ON A SHUTTLE (AV49N-P4PX400) MAINBOARD.
1. WILL I DAMAGE THE PROCESSOR IF I INCREASE THE SPEED.
2. COULD IT INVALIDATE MY WARRANTY IF I DO SO?

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL.

THANKS.

sil_ver 15:13 11 Aug 2003

I don't think anyone can say that you can 'safely' increase FSB. If you damage the CPU in the process you will invalidate your warranty.
Why would you want to increase it on a 2.66Ghz you probably won't get any benefit from it but you could get a hefty bill.

DieSse 15:32 11 Aug 2003

I agree with sil_ver exactly - you could probably increase it by a small amount, but the benefit you would get will be so small as to make no practical difference.

Whereas the risks you would run are large, including invalidating warranties.

Basically - small incease, little risk, but no gain - larger increase, high risk, but larger gain.

Unless you understand all the risks and issues involved - don't do it.

Terrahawk 15:58 11 Aug 2003

1 is it safe ? risky / 2 could it damage the processor? possibly / 3 could invalidate the warranty ? yes to my mind 266mhz is a high end processor more than capable of meeting what is thrown at it in terms of software my advice leave it as it is apart from curiosity i see no reason for over clocking it

Smiler 16:50 11 Aug 2003

I agree totally with sil_ver, DieSse & Terrahawk. Unless you have a slow cpu to start with what is the point of chancing damaging it to make a small gain

ps If you have a quetsion please would you not shout it out as you may wake someone trying to have an afternoon siesta. (capitals=shouting)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?