Increase speed of PC if no more RAM can be added?

bryohd 16:00 04 Jun 2017

Hi,

I've been looking into adding more RAM to my PC to make it faster, however after using the Crucial Memory Advisor, I have discovered that I cannot add more than the 4GB I already have.

Here's an image with the specs of my PC. 1]: [click here anyone could help me out with any other ways to add more memory that would be great! I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff..

Thanks in advance!

If

lotvic 16:14 04 Jun 2017

You are using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

32-bit is limited to 4 GB ram. Therefore even if it were physically possible to install more ram on motherboard unfortunately your Windows-32 bit OS can't make use of any over it's limitation of 4 GB.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 04 Jun 2017

Its a 32bit so windows would not use more even if you could add more. and as its single channel DDR2 and probably only a couple of slots available then physically you cannot add more.

bryohd 16:43 04 Jun 2017

Ah I see, thank you for your replies. Would a way around it be to get a new motherboard that can run 64-bit in order to install more RAM? Or is that not how it works?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:32 04 Jun 2017

A new motherboard with different memory and windows then might see it as a different computer and not boot or boot and not activate. Will your cpu fit the new board? Your new board of course has to fit our case etc. It all starts to get complicated. May be better putting the money towards a new PC.

If you want to try the upgrade route then possibly a bundle may suit you for example click here

bryohd 17:57 04 Jun 2017

Okay, thanks. I'll look into it. Another route I was thinking of possibly taking is upgrading to 64-bit? I checked and the PC is capable of running it. That was it would use more RAM? Or am I missing something?

wee eddie 18:00 04 Jun 2017

I suppose that the critical point is, what are you trying to achieve with the upgrade.

To simplify matters. Could you tell us the Make and Model of your PC?

q33ny 18:29 04 Jun 2017

This: Memory
2 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory Support for DDR2 800/667/533 MHz memory modules Is from Gigabyte website about your MB. See all here.

Yout MB is old so any upgrade will just waste money. You should think of getting a new MB, CPU and RAM.

Menzie 18:30 04 Jun 2017

Looking at the Gigabyte website that motherboard has two sockets. However can only physically address 4GB of RAM.

Installing Windows 7 64-Bit wouldn't help as the motherboard is the physical limitation here.

You'd have to go for a new motherboard and in doing so would most likely be better going with a new PC as most motherboards now won't support DDR 2.

Only thing I can suggest is to streamline your OS as much as possible.

Adam Herbst 17:48 05 Jun 2017

I don't think anyone else recommended this but, get a SSD, it would be totally easy to install and does make a difference. Installing a new MOBO is difficult especially if it is a prebuilt and not custom pc.

wee eddie 18:00 05 Jun 2017

Your Processor was released in January 2008 and has been compared, unfavourably with an i3, a year later.

I think that the time is close for you to think of buying a new rig, as upgrades are unlikely to make much difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 8 & iPhone 8 Plus