AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards
Can anyone tell me why my pop3 incoming server address keeps changing from tesco to 127.0.0.1 could it be something to do with McAfee Internet security suite 2005?
Disappointing not to see any further posts in this thread, because I'm having the same problem as the OP. Each time I boot up, my incoming mail server resets to 127.0.0.1 and I have to enter the correct one manually. This happens on only one of my two email accounts, both of which are with the same ISP — the other a/c is fine.
The problem started recently and may have been caused when I uninstalled Mozilla Thunderbird but I couldn't swear to it. (I swear AT it plenty though...)
I'm running WinXP+SP2 on ADSL BB. AdAware, SpybotS&D, McAfee Security Suite and the MS Antispyware Beta are up to date and all report that my system is clean.
I've read through the rest of the 127.0.0.1 threads but don't understand what I'm reading.
Could someone please tell me what's happened here, and how to fix it? In terms likely to be understood by people in my social category (i.e. elderly and thick)? I'd really appreciate it.
It's normally caused by AV software - and it's not a fault.
In simple terms, the AV software changes the email server address to an internal server. When emails arrive they go into this local "server", where they are checked by the AV program, and after the all-clear, released into your inbox.
You will often find a change to your user name associated with the change to the server name.
The reason it keeps happening, is that on reboot, the AV program checks, and if you've reset it to the original name, it chages it back to the internal server address, which it needs in order to protect you.
Unfortunately some AV packages, and some email providers just seem to have a natural antipathy to each other, and it's quite a devil to get them working together.
...for your prompt response. I'm beginning to see the light, I think. However, in my case, emails directed into this 127.0.0.1 'phantom server' are not being released into my Inbox. In fact I discovered that my incoming server had been changed only when I went looking to see why the account in question hadn't seen any incoming emails for more than a week. I changed it back to the proper server name and they appeared in a torrent.
Just be very careful, as they may not have been checked correctly for viruses.
You may find some clue as to why this is happening on the McAfee site. It won't be an isolated event just in your system, I wouldn't think.
PS - I suggest you delete that email's account settings completely, and set it up afresh - it can often start to work correctly then.
I'll give it a go and report back.
"I suggest you delete that email's account settings completely, and set it up afresh - it can often start to work correctly then."
It didn't work, I'm afraid. Do I simply have to live with it? I had the daft impression that computers are logical devices. :>}
Apologies for slow response BTW. Teatime intervened.
Problem solved. Many thanks. The clue was indeed on the McAfee website. After much searching I found a procedure that linked 127.0.0.1 with Outlook Express and McAfee's Spamkiller. So, after failing to get the procedure to work, I ditched Spamkiller (which I don't use in any case, and which I now suspect had become corrupted, as it wouldn't open properly when I tried to take a look at it). I then rebooted and was delighted to see that my POP3 server remained unchanged.
I hope the OP reads this. It may help solve his/her problem — and I can't tick the box 'cos I hijacked the thread in the first place.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.