INADEQUATE VOLUME

Radiofan 11:59 12 Jul 2004

Since acquiring a new computer with Windows XP I have found that the volume level as compared with my previous machine (WIN 98) is relatively low. The master volume control is flat out but listening to radio programmes is difficult because of the low output. Is there any way I can increase the level or is the fault with the soundcard? Keep it simple please - I'm not a technocrat!

Indigo 1 12:01 12 Jul 2004

A lot depends on which speakers you are using, are they the same ones as before, if not have you tried the old ones instead ?

What sound card do you have ?

Daz35 12:02 12 Jul 2004

Probably a silly question, but have you right clicked on your volume icon and adjusted the controls there?

Radiofan 12:08 12 Jul 2004

They are the old speakers as none were supplied with the new machine (from Morgan Computers). The sound card is Realtek AC97 and, yes, I have right-clicked and everything possible is turned to high!

Indigo 1 12:22 12 Jul 2004

There are two types of PC speakers, one with built-in amplifier and one without. Usually Amplified speakers have a volume control and a little LED light and are connected to the mains with a transormer while unpowered speakers just connect to the soundcard like headphones.

Which do you have ?

Can you try it with headphones ?

Radiofan 12:26 12 Jul 2004

Mine are unpowered speakers so the answer would seem to be to replace them with powered ones - hadn't though of that (doh!).

Radiofan 12:27 12 Jul 2004

Mine are unpowered speakers so the answer would seem to be to replace them with powered ones - hadn't though of that (doh!).

Indigo 1 12:37 12 Jul 2004

Most soundcards have built-in amps but they vary in power from quite small 200 milliwatt up to 1000 milliwatt (1 watt), this is fine for headphones/small speakers and low volumes.

It would be a good idea (if possible) to double-check the 'old PC' against the 'new PC' with a pair of headphones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)