Image storing

NickyK 19:48 19 Jun 2005

I have read what VoG has said on this subject. Please excuse me for posting, but I need an idiot-proof guide.

What I want to do is store zip files, as well as albums.

Any ideas? I ask for this because I recently lost all my unopened files when my computer went bonkers - a strange fault called "NTLDR missing". I had to reinstall Windows and lost data because "My Documents" had become corrupted.

Yes, I do back-ups, but because of the nature of my work I need quick and easy on-line storage.

We are talking 5 gigs.

I use Windows XP with SP2 installed.

bremner 19:59 19 Jun 2005

Easy solution - get an external hard drive and back everything of value up to that.

NickyK 20:05 19 Jun 2005

That is excellent advice, and that is exactly what I am going to do. I'm looking for a short-term fix. Money's too tight to mention. Oops. Just mentioned it.

Hairy Yeti 20:08 19 Jun 2005

Partition your HDD and save your data there.

NickyK 20:10 19 Jun 2005

I wouldn't know how to do a partition. Thanks anyway. Appreciated.

VoG II 20:10 19 Jun 2005

Yes, my advice was simply in relation to storing images at click here

As it happens I've just inversted in an external HDD myself - it is beautiful click here

NickyK 20:15 19 Jun 2005

Thanks, Vog. So, it looks like an external hard drive is the answer. I'll leave this open for a little while longer.

Kenneth-266656 20:44 19 Jun 2005

External HDD do tend to be expensive (I know I've got one myself!). If cash is tight - I know the feeling - and you have a spare bay, think about another internal hard drive set up as a slave. Format as a one pr1mary partition and then you can just drag and drop anything you want there and if you feel like it use Ghost or similar to bring a copy of your OS on as well.

NickyK 20:51 19 Jun 2005

Thanks, Torwalker (nice ident, btw). I just about understand what you are saying. I think I can set up a slave, but I'm going to have to do a bit of reading/research because this level of computing is beyond me at the moment. I'm not stupid, but I am lacking in knowledge/experience. Your comments, as with all comments, are greatly appreciated.

VoG II 20:51 19 Jun 2005

A slightly offbeat (or lateral thinking) answer would be to set up a Gmail account click here and mail to yourself the stuff that you want to keep.

If you would like a Gmail account please click on my yellow envelope.

NickyK 21:09 19 Jun 2005

I took VoG's advice and set up a G-mail account. This will solve my problems in the short term. However, I will be buying a separate hard drive. Seems sensible.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. I really, honestly do appreciate the time and the courtesy. Thanks again.

Nicky

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?