if you have asked a question please follow it up

KEITH 1955 21:24 21 Jan 2019
Answered

Ok so you see my name on here a lot , I also know who the rest of the regulars are that are likely to answer questions. What really annoys me is that people say they are desperate for help but they never go looking for a response to the question . The proof of this is the last name under the date should be the person who asked the question to say thank you or not yet fixed.

So please if you have asked a question please take the time to come back to look for an answer and leave some sort of comment.

Just take a look at how long it is since some answers were posted but not read.

alanrwood 09:42 22 Jan 2019

This is quite typical behaviour on most forums. I agree it is most annoying and leads to contributors deciding not to waste their time by not answering unless it has a particular interest for themselves. It is also very impolite in my opinion.

john bunyan 10:13 22 Jan 2019

I sometimes look at the poster’s history to see if they usually green tick. Even some regulars who ask many questions don’t do it enough.

Forum Editor 17:45 23 Jan 2019

This is an old chestnut - all online forums experience the same thing, and I have lost count of the number of threads we have seen on the same subject over the past 18 years.

In essence we are a computer help forum. It's great when someone acknowledges the help or advice they've received, but if you expect it to happen you are going to be disappointed most of the time.

Our regular forum helpers might not like it, but they get used to it over time. There is absolutely no way that we can force people to say thank you.

When you give way to let someone come through on a narrow road do you always get a thank you wave or light flash? Of course you don't. Does it stop you from showing courtesy? Of course it doesn't.

KEITH 1955 21:07 23 Jan 2019

Hi FE I agree with what you say , I have seen lots of questions re-posted over the years by people who are new to pc's , whenever I answer a question that I think might crop up again I always copy/paste it onto a word doc so the next time it is wanted I don't have to retype it.

Old Deuteronomy 22:01 23 Jan 2019
Answer

I find it most annoying when someone is asked for more information, so they can be helped but, they just don't bother to respond.

I agree it is most annoying and leads to contributors deciding not to waste their time by not answering unless it has a particular interest for themselves.

That's the way it is with me now, after at least fourteen years as a member.

Forum Editor 22:17 23 Jan 2019

Old Deuteronomy

I'm very sorry to hear it, but unfortunately there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. There is not a public help forum in the world that doesn't have to contend with human nature.

Secret-Squirrel 09:59 24 Jan 2019

.......when someone is asked for more information, so they can be helped but, they just don't bother to respond.

Perhaps they don't get the email notification and think that no one's replied. I haven't had any for years so it must be happening to others too.

I sometimes look at the poster’s history.............

That's what I do too John. If the poster has a track record for never replying then I won't waste my time with them.

KEITH 1955 17:27 24 Jan 2019

hi squirrel over the past few weeks their has been a problem with the auto reply and FE confirmed problem now fixed , I can confirm it is fixed because on the same day thunderbird went into meltdown with the backlog of replies lol.

Secret-Squirrel 17:55 24 Jan 2019

..........and FE confirmed problem now fixed , I can confirm it is fixed ...............

Fixed for you may be, but as I said earlier, I haven't received a notification email for years and I doubt that I'm the only one who's affected.

rickf 21:41 24 Jan 2019

It's a futile ask and sometimes a pointless exercise. Some people are simply "users." Asking for a short feedback is like squeezing water out of a stone.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

The Best 404 Page Designs: from delightful illustrations to time-wasting games

Powerbeats Pro review

Que faire si le son de votre Mac ne fonctionne plus ?