If you bank online

Sapins 10:14 29 Aug 2005

A couple of sites worth a look to help you stay safe.
click here and click here

patsyanne 11:31 29 Aug 2005

I use internet banking but 2 different techy guys have told me not to and one of them knows a guy that works on one of the banks internet banking site and he would never have a on line bank account !

dave_and_confused 12:14 29 Aug 2005

I use internet banking but 2 different techy guys have told me not to and one of them knows a guy that works on one of the banks internet banking site and he would never have a on line bank account !

As long as you surf safe then there's no problem. I've been doing so for years now across 3 banks and check balances and transfer funds on an almost daily basis. In fact the only problem I've ever had is when cards were stolen from the post.

As for the guy that "knows a guy" etc? Did he say why? It's a bit like saying "I build Product X but would never use it" If he works on the site then he probably isn't doing is job properly if he wouldn't use it, if he even exists at all....

patsyanne 12:18 29 Aug 2005

He just said his friend who is working for a bank on the internet banking side would never use it ,but like you i still use it and would be lost with out it .

patsyanne 12:19 29 Aug 2005

if he even exists at all.... for gods sake !

dave_and_confused 12:30 29 Aug 2005

Sorry but in my job i hear lots of stories about a "friend down the pub who knows someone who Auntie works in the Government and she says....."

I just ignore all these stories. The best (worst) was the customer who said she had a virus and knew it because "her friend was a hacker for a bank in London and he said so." She even got him on the phone for me and he clearly didn't know his keyboard from his hard drive....

Forum Editor 13:03 29 Aug 2005

is, in my opinion, a good deal more efficient than waiting in a long queue in some branch for your turn to speak to a bored counter assistant. It's a good deal more secure as well.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 29 Aug 2005

Unfortunately Llyods TSB has recently been hacked, several customers accounts are frozen while investigations are underway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 29 Aug 2005

Of course the bank is responsible for any loss and will refund the customers. (sooner or later)

In the meantime we are suffering, and this also affects people who are not Internet banking.

The advantage in this case was the poblem was seen by the online bankers before it got too far out of hand. If you had to wait for a statement (monthly /3 monthly /6 momthly) it could have been awhile before it was noticed.

dave_and_confused 13:51 29 Aug 2005

Unfortunately Llyods TSB has recently been hacked, several customers accounts are frozen while investigations are underway.

Any links to that story?

pj123 14:36 29 Aug 2005

dave_and_confused, good point. Yes, any links?

I have just logged on to my Lloyds TSB account and, unfortunately, no one has put anything in to it but nothing untoward has been taken out either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?