IE7 won't load and I can't upgrade to IE8

xania 15:06 13 Dec 2010

I am trying to help a friend with an IE7 problem – yes I know IE8 is already old hat and I use it myself, but that’s all part of the problem.
When he loads up IE7, he gets the error message:
IE has encountered a problem with an add-on and needs to close.
The following add-on was running when this problem occurred:
Add-on name 16Tran.dll
Company name (not verified)
Description – Conduit Toolbar.
IE then closes down.
I can get round this problem by switching off all toolbars, but then when I try to undertake any Windows update (including trying to update him to IE8) an information bar comes up asking me to install an ActiveX control required to view the website. I then right-click the information bar and select the option to Install ActiveX Control. The system then closes the Information and I get a report telling me how to install the control by clicking on the information bar – but the information bar has vanished!!

So we cannot update the PC manually, and am I pretty certian automatic updates won't work either leaving the PC highly vulnerable.

I have checked the list of toolbars but there is no mention of Conduit, nor can I find a program to delete.

xania 19:15 13 Dec 2010

Yes - I found this myself, but there's nothing on hios PC to indicate he ever visited the site, so that's a dead end. So far as the dll is concerend, yes I think that you have this right.

xania 10:28 14 Dec 2010

Thanks for these suggestions. I won't be seeing him for a short while now, but I'll let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor 20 Pro review

Philips 499P9H monitor review – this 49-inch screen turns heads and will make your colleagues…

MacBook Pro 2019 release date, price & specs

Comment télécharger des films sur un iPad sans utiliser iTunes ?