IE6 Download setup problem

Edith 11:52 02 Sep 2003

I have been on before and had many useful tips but nothing has worked hence my second request for help. I have downloaded ie6 from critical updates but it will mot install on to my computer running ME. MS help site suggested I stop running all background programmes but that has not worked. Tried deleting the ie6 folder so I can try again but that does work. Thinking about upgrading to XP as I understand that comes with ie6 but does anyone know if that will solve the problem as not wanting to waste my cash.

john-232317 12:39 02 Sep 2003

Try installing IE 6 from a magazine disc.

Edith 14:15 02 Sep 2003

dadyassa thank you for your response but that was one of the first things I tried. I still get a message that their is an ie6 copy waitng to be installed so I am being stopped from using a disc. Hence why I am considering the expensive option to upgrade to XP.

Stuartli 14:19 02 Sep 2003

Are you continuing the download after you have completed and activated the short setup program?

IE6 is a pretty big download and you might not have realised the setup is only the start...:-)

Edith 14:27 02 Sep 2003

Stuartli - Not sure I follow. After downloading ie6 from critical updates I "click" to install programme to disc and it gets as far as 91% and then issues a message to the effect that it is unable to continue with the set up proceedure and suggests I try again which I have on far too many occassions to recall. I am also unable to down load a programm called "macromedia shockwave" from the BBc website so I suspect there is something amiss with my PC software somewhere but am unable to identify. Could you clarify your comments about "continuing to download" in case I am doing something wrong.

Edith 15:48 05 Sep 2003

To every one who responded I solved the problem by going to the programme folder and then the internet explore folder. I then created a new folder and moved the uninstall files to the new folder and then run ie6setup again and it worked. Yippe.

john-232317 16:10 05 Sep 2003

Wot a clever girl you are, well done, glad you got it sorted..;-)

john-232317 16:12 05 Sep 2003

ooops dont forget to tick the box and click resolved....;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?