IE Homepage Hijack - United Virtualities OOQA OOQA

Taff36 11:06 04 Nov 2003

I have just opened up a second Internet Explorer and within 5 seconds it is hijacked. The Words OOQA OOQA appear in the title bar (replacing a word) and I am sent to my home page but with no tool bars or menus.

Repeating the exercise I managed to get a print screen of the transition and see the words United Virtualities appear briefly in the title bar.

What do I do now ?????

johnnyrocker 11:10 04 Nov 2003

obtain if you haven't got, spybot and adaware from click here if using xp or me disble system restore while cleansing, that should solve your probs.

cheers.

johnny.

Taff36 11:19 04 Nov 2003

johnnyrocker

Got both and will run them but why turn off system restore?

The Lights Are On

Can`t get to that link it times out. Can you give me a quick precis or paste a relevant section on this thread please.

Taff36 11:25 04 Nov 2003

Thanks for that - Do I need to disable system restore though?

Taff36 11:33 04 Nov 2003

You got it - there is an opt out sequence and you can opt out for the session or permanently. It seems quite harmless now. All the usual browser buttons were there but I just didn`t recognise them within the AMD Athlon advert body.

Will run Adaware and spybot anyway though.

Taff36 11:35 04 Nov 2003

Thanks All - 20 minutes including a fag break is pretty good.

johnnyrocker 11:56 04 Nov 2003

yes if it is something that is an infection because today's variants invariably find their way into sys restore and as it is a hidden file does not get scanned, of course re enable sys restore after cleansing, the fact it keeps re appearing would indicarte a prob of this type.

cheers.

johnny.

Taff36 15:33 04 Nov 2003

PCA is my home page and I opened a second IE browser which was then hijacked. My original browser remained unchanged. Could this be one for referal to Forum Editor for comment. As I said earlier - once I understood what it was it didn`t seem too bad. Wish I`d kept it for a while now !!

Forum Editor 17:05 04 Nov 2003

if you don't like it - I personally don't see it as such a terrible thing, but there we are.

Frankly we can't consult with you over every single marketing decision, and if I may make so bold I don't see why we should - it's not the end of the world, and as I say, you can turn this off.

As for anyone thinking there was a virus at work.............I'm at a loss to understand why. Our name is clearly displayed on the AMD bar for all to see. All anyone has to do in future is use the contact button at top left of the page - and I'll respond as soon as I can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

Inside the psychology of what makes particular images popular

Apple Maps vs Google Maps

Amazon Prime : prix, avantages et offres gratuites