IE Homepage Hijack - United Virtualities OOQA OOQA

Taff36 11:06 04 Nov 2003

I have just opened up a second Internet Explorer and within 5 seconds it is hijacked. The Words OOQA OOQA appear in the title bar (replacing a word) and I am sent to my home page but with no tool bars or menus.

Repeating the exercise I managed to get a print screen of the transition and see the words United Virtualities appear briefly in the title bar.

What do I do now ?????

johnnyrocker 11:10 04 Nov 2003

obtain if you haven't got, spybot and adaware from click here if using xp or me disble system restore while cleansing, that should solve your probs.

cheers.

johnny.

[DELETED] 11:13 04 Nov 2003
  [DELETED] 11:14 04 Nov 2003

I do not care for that happening without a warning or choice.Causing problems,as no history in IE browser can be selected plus other items.

Taff36 11:19 04 Nov 2003

johnnyrocker

Got both and will run them but why turn off system restore?

The Lights Are On

Can`t get to that link it times out. Can you give me a quick precis or paste a relevant section on this thread please.

[DELETED] 11:21 04 Nov 2003

It was just showing that you haven't been taken over by the wicked ones merly an advertiser - According to other info Ad-Aware should remove it.

>>>Rich media ad firm United Virtualities -- best known for its Shoshkeles "takeover" ad format -- is branching out into new territory with the upcoming release of a browser-rebranding product.

The new offering, dubbed "Ooqa Ooqa," is intended to be used by consumer portals and corporate sites, who could then offer visiting Web surfers a rebranded browser that would feature a graphic -- like a corporate logo -- in lieu of the default gray background of Microsoft's (Quote, Chart) Internet Explorer or AOL Time Warner's (Quote, Chart) Netscape browser.

The rebranded browser also could feature customized tools -- like a dictionary, or a stock chart, for instance -- in addition to embedded hyperlinks. The browser -- and thus the tools -- could be updated every time a user clicks in their browser, so that a stock chart, for instance, would update every time a user visits a new Web page, or a weather icon could reflect the current local conditions.

[DELETED] 11:23 04 Nov 2003

JIM, I'm not sure if your problem is the same as Taff36's or another problem.

[DELETED] 11:24 04 Nov 2003

United Virtualities have come up with some software that rebrands your browser and adds functionality such as weather/company reports and other guff but it is only supposed to work if you allow it. There should also be an "off" button.

Taff36 11:25 04 Nov 2003

Thanks for that - Do I need to disable system restore though?

Taff36 11:33 04 Nov 2003

You got it - there is an opt out sequence and you can opt out for the session or permanently. It seems quite harmless now. All the usual browser buttons were there but I just didn`t recognise them within the AMD Athlon advert body.

Will run Adaware and spybot anyway though.

Taff36 11:35 04 Nov 2003

Thanks All - 20 minutes including a fag break is pretty good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?