I.E. desktop Icon gone missing

osben 13:28 08 Dec 2004

Hi

I seem to have lost the IE icon on my desktop.

IE is still on the computer.

I have tried to get it back via settings/taskbar & start menu but don't seem to be able to find the icon.

I don't want to have to reload IE as I don't want to loose my "favourites" list that I have set up in it.

Can anyone help please.

Regards

Osben

ACOLYTE 13:31 08 Dec 2004

Navigate to the IE folder usually c/prog files/internet explorer,right click the icon and sebt to desk top as short cut.

Jackcoms 13:32 08 Dec 2004

Create a new one.

Start; All Programs; Right click on Internet Explorer; Left click on Send to Desktop.

Voilà!

osben 13:45 08 Dec 2004

HI
ACOLYTE & Jackcoms

Thanks for your response however

a) Tried navigating to the IE folder but the Icon is not there.
b) The internet folder/shortcut is not in my Programms list either.

As I said I.E is still on the computer but just can't find the Icon to start it.

Jackcoms 14:01 08 Dec 2004

So, let's find which IE folders you do have.

Click on Search; All Files and Folders and type Internet Explorer in the search criteria.

Confab 14:01 08 Dec 2004

Go to Add Remove programs and try to remove IE. A dialogue box will appear telling you that it cant be removed and it will give you the option to repair. Tick this box and IE will repair itself and add a new icon to your desktop. You will not lose your favourites

Jackcoms 14:03 08 Dec 2004

Or try System Restore to a time you did have the Desktop icon

Smegs 14:16 08 Dec 2004

It would help if we know which OS you have.

In Xp, goto Windows Explorer, Open C:\, goto Programe Files, Goto Internet Explorer Folder. There, you will find the IE Icon.

osben 14:40 08 Dec 2004

Hi All
Thanks for input

Jackcoms:
\windows\$NT servicesPackUninstall$ size 89Kb dated 31/03/03
\windows\prefetch size 78Kb dated 8/12/04
\windows\servicePackFiles\i386

I don't want to have to "system restore" as the last system backup was some time ago. A lot has gone on since then. However thanks for pointing that out. It will teach me to do it more often.

Confab:

I tried that and looking very carefully, IE does not show up in the Add/Remove programs

Smeg:
Operating system is XP SP2
Have tried your suggestion, see earlier

As I said earlier, IE is still on the computer but I just cannot find (apart from the above search details) iexplore.exe or an icon to enable me to make a short cut.

I'm really stumped

Osben

osben 14:58 08 Dec 2004

Hi all again

I've done it.

Went into settings\display\desktop\customise
and found that the Internet Explorer box had been de-ticked for some reason.

All's well now.

Many thanks for your help.

Djohn 14:59 08 Dec 2004

Right click on desktop/properties/Customise button and place a tick in any of the following 4 boxes. This will place the actual Icon on your desktop rather than a shortcut.

My Documents - My Computer - Internet explorer or Network places. Click OK and OK a second time. You should now have the 4 or any combination of the 4 "Full" Icons on your desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?