IE Browser 'infected' by rogue search engine

The Griffin 16:40 01 May 2004

My browser (Internet Explorer v6) seems to have become 'infected' by a rogue search engine (netsearchsoft.com) - which constantly resets itself to default 'Homepage'. I've tried most things I know to try and get rid of it - but the pesky thing won't lie down and die. I'm running Windows 98SE and have a good Anti-virus package (Trend-Micro PC-Cillin)
1) How can I get rid of it?
2) How can I stop it - and similar - coming back?
3) Any ideas how it got past the Anti-virus programme?

All advice gratefully accepted!

Diodorus Siculus 16:43 01 May 2004

1 - click here
AdAware click here
Spybot-S&D click here
CWS

These will (should) remove it.

2 - HomePage guard will keep it away; sorry, I lost my link.

3 - how it got there was possibly either through you installing something or clicking OK somewhere without realising what was what.

byfordr 21:33 01 May 2004

click here start page guard
click here - spyware blaster (stop nasties getting on)
As Diodorus Siculus says spybot, adaware or cwshredder should do the business. When clean add the above.

R

Camille 21:37 01 May 2004

When you install spybot - also ensure that you select the immunise option to prevent this sort of thing happening again

The Griffin 22:54 01 May 2004

Many thanks for all advice - I've installed Adaware and Start Page Guard - and the problem seems to have been resolved. Thanks again.

The Griffin 21:33 02 May 2004

Well actually - I spoke too soon! When I turned on the computer on the next occasion - back it came! I now know that I had unintentionally shipped a Browser Hijack programme. After doing a lot of research on the net - it seemd that the programme that had attacked my PC wasn't too bad (at least it didn't appear to be of the CoolWebSearch variety - some of which can be particularly nasty apparently). Ad-Aware was not on its own sufficiently powerful to do the job - so I downloaded Spybot - Search & Destroy. Running this finally cleaned up my system - but I have also now installed Spyware Blaster for further protection. Fortunately I didn't have to use HijackThis which looks a tad complicated - but there's a very good website that has tutorials in all the above click here . I can also recommend click here. But above all I recommend that everyone gets protection from this menace - its taken me several hours to rid my PC of this problem! Hope this helps

Diodorus Siculus 23:39 02 May 2004

I usually advocate that people use both AdAware and Spybot S&D together and that will sort most problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?