IDE cable, 1 connector left off?

graham√ 13:09 26 Oct 2003

Tinkering with my trusty '95, trying to instal a different hard drive. I was getting 'A device attached to the system is not functioning' message. Eventually I took out the IDE cable for close inspection, thinking perhaps it had been handled once too often.

The end connector had a wire 'broken'. Is this by design, perhaps to enable 'cable select' to function?

This was not the cause of the trouble, it turned out.

DieSse 13:37 26 Oct 2003

If it's an 80-wire cable, the cut wire is to allow it to be detected as 80-wire rather then 40-wire.

graham√ 13:40 26 Oct 2003

Thanks, it's 40 wire.

DieSse 14:13 26 Oct 2003

Then it's a broken wire - but it may be unused, or just one of several earth wires.

graham√ 14:25 26 Oct 2003

Thanks, everything seems to be working OK now, MaxBlast Plus came to the rescue.

graham√ 19:50 27 Oct 2003

It is cable select click here

DieSse 20:28 27 Oct 2003

I know it's possible to have a 40-wire cable select cable - but they're as rare as hen's teeth - so the usual assumption is that it won't be if it's a 40-wire cable (whereas ALL 80-wire cables have cable select)

So just goes to prove I can't be right every time ;-))

Djohn 20:46 27 Oct 2003

As a little side note to this thread. When I installed two new hard drives I swapped all my drives to C S. function and they work just fine. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?