Icons for downloaded files not on desktop

LimestoneRock 12:04 28 Jan 2006

When I download a file - the most recent being the CC Cleaner update - the icon for the exe file does not appear on the desktop to where I've directed it. However, on re-booting, it appears. Can anyone explain - have I got a setting wrong?

Running XP Home

LimestoneRock 12:27 30 Mar 2006

I'm still having the same problem with my laptop - can anyone help please?

VoG II 12:28 30 Mar 2006

Have you tried right clicking the desktop and selecting Refresh?

ACOLYTE 12:31 30 Mar 2006

Dont know if this will help or if it is even for this,but have you got "show desktop icons" ticked in the arrange icons menu.

LimestoneRock 12:33 30 Mar 2006

That worked thanks VoG™ - the same thing was happening when I cut a downloaded file from Desktop to My Downloads and whilst it "transferred" to this latter folder, the Icon remained on Desktop. Doing a refresh as you suggested did get rid of it but I never used to have this problem - do I have a setting wrong somewhere?

LimestoneRock 12:39 30 Mar 2006

Yes, ACOLYTE, I have it checked. I have tried various combinations of Auto Arrange, Align to Grid & Lock Web Items to Desktop but none has cured the problem - I keep having to refresh for the delation or addition to show.

ACOLYTE 12:49 30 Mar 2006

You could try clearing the icon cache?

click here

or you could make it bigger

click here
scroll down to number 121

you could also try number 4 on the same page.

HTH

LimestoneRock 13:21 30 Mar 2006

I've tried your two links ACOLYTE and have also deleted the Icon Cache. Still no change but thanks for your help. I'm now trying sfc /scannow although I think I did this in January, when the problem first arose, without success.

ACOLYTE 13:32 30 Mar 2006

Have you tried downloading direct to your downloads folder?.

LimestoneRock 13:50 30 Mar 2006

Yes, I can do this OK - itworks but I prefer to Download to Desktop and then remove the program to Downloads afterwards, as it is much easier to track/find the downloaded program.

VoG II 11:02 01 Apr 2006

click here number 199 left hand column.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)