Icon Link to Desktop

zootboy 11:25 01 Jul 2003

There is normally an icon that appears in the Taskbar/System Tray on bootup, that clicking on it gets you back to your desktop.

Inexplicably, mine has disappeared.

Any ideas why, how can I locate it, and how do I get to load again on bootup ?

Regards

Zootboy

hoverman 11:41 01 Jul 2003

I am using Windows XP and the Quick Launch icon is located in Documents and Settings/'My Name'/Application Data/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Quick Launch. You will have to show hidden files and then create a shortcut from the QL icon to the desktop and then drag it to the taskbar. Unless anyone knows a quicker way.

hoverman 11:44 01 Jul 2003

Woops my mistake - i have given you the location for the IE6 quick launch icon. Sorry.

hoverman 11:46 01 Jul 2003

My brain is not working today The 'Show Desktop' is in the location I referred to. Going back to bed so I can up again and start afresh!!!

hoverman 13:18 01 Jul 2003

One other thought. Right click on the task bar, select tools, and make sure there is a tick against Quick Launch. If there is, remove it and and retick to see if that will restore the 'Show Desktop' icon.

beeuuem 13:29 01 Jul 2003

You could try a search for the file " Show Desktop" in Windows. Create a shortcut, cut and paste to the Desktop and drag it to the taskbar.

beeuuem 13:32 01 Jul 2003

You aren't the only one who should be going back to bed and starting the day again :-(

hoverman 14:48 01 Jul 2003

Agreed - your suggestion to do a search on 'Show Desktop'is quicker than mine.

beeuuem 15:04 01 Jul 2003

I was thinking of me! Your advice is much the same as mine - if I had bothered to read your post properly before sticking my oar in.

hoverman 18:59 01 Jul 2003

Any luck retrieving that icon??

Qmar 19:51 01 Jul 2003

do search '*.SCF ' , you will find the icon in the windows system files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?