icaros from pcadvisor.co.uk may have malware?

embroid 18:04 22 Nov 2016

I downloaded icaros from ukadvisor website ( to display thumbnails). I opened the downloaded exe and it started installing the software, then said it's installed. I found this weird because it did not prompt me to choose anything e.g. 32bit or 64bit etc. Then I found a weird file called "software" ( no suffix) had been placed in the download folder. I did not know where the program had been installed or how to run it. I was concerned it might have contained a virus (even though I scanned the initial exe with avg). Then I downloaded icaros from another site and it installed like any normal program and I then ran it and it works great. I am still concerned about whether the download and installation of the icaros from pcadvisor.co.uk may have contained malware. Anyone know?

Govan1x 11:10 23 Nov 2016

embroid

I opened this page and my security jumped in and stopped a page from opening. Something to do with JS. java script I suppose.

Will have a look and see what they have blocked.

Time;Scanner;Object type;Object;Threat;Action;User;Information;Hash;First seen here 24/04/2016 12:53:49;HTTP filter;file;click here potentially unsafe application;;xxxpc;Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.;;

Govan1x 11:12 23 Nov 2016

The click here will not open so no idea as to what it was. Looks like it is a download bundled with other programs like you have said.

Govan1x 11:44 23 Nov 2016

Seems that it is a download from piriform.

Threat W/32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.d intentionally unsafe application.

That usually show when something is bundled with the original download.

lotvic 12:25 23 Nov 2016

Govan1x, which page are you referring to?

opened this page and my security jumped in and stopped a page from opening...

"download.piriform.com/spsetup129.exe;Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Google.D"

spsetup129.exe - that's for Speccy from Piriform website (and the latest version is 130 and has option to also install Ccleaner that can be de-selected)

What's that to do with PCA and icaros download?

Secret-Squirrel 12:32 23 Nov 2016

embroid, there is something peculiar going on:

Firstly, when I click on the link to download Icaros in Chrome, a new tab opens that takes me to the developer's webpage (VideoHelp), the download commenced and I ended up with a file 7.68MB in size. I have a feeling that's the one you used to successfully install Icaros. However, when I click the same download link in IE I'm immediately prompted to run or save the file, and when I choose the latter, a file of 1.78MB is downloaded. Both downloaded files are called Icaros 3.0.0 but they're clearly not the same.

Secondly, the download is being served by "quickfarmbundle" and I can't find any information about the company.

Govan1x said:

I opened this page...........

Which page? Do you really mean this one or the PCA download page for Icaros?

Govan1x 12:41 23 Nov 2016

Yup sorry maybe that was the click here that did not work it was the PCA Site and that particular download.

If this click here does not work it would be my security deleting it agian.

Click here

Govan1x 12:52 23 Nov 2016

Sorry Secret-Squirrel. yes it was that page.

lotvic 13:06 23 Nov 2016

In Firefox, from pca download page I also get the icaros file of 1.78MB served by "quickfarmbundle" but as per SS other sites - majorgeeks - give me a file size of 7.68MB, called Icaros_v3.0.0.exe (I notice that this bigger file has 'v3.0.0.' and the pca one doesn't have the 'v')

Govan1x 13:10 23 Nov 2016

Ok after opening the page about 10 times I have managed to get to the problem I believe.

click here that has been blocked along with IP address 54.230.11.133 sometimes the last number changes. it was 5 at one time.

Govan1x 13:13 23 Nov 2016

Begger it comes out as a click here and I presume it is blocked for me. lets try it without the the rest of it is js.idg.delivery.com/dl.min.js

lets see what happens to that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?