I want to upgrade my processor?

lukehatch100 10:37 10 Apr 2017

I'm currently running with a quad core Intel i5 6500 3.2ghz processor. At some point I'd like to upgrade to an i7 processor with something around 4ghz. I'm pretty much new to this, and I was wondering how I'd know which processors would work in my PC and whether or not it's a job I could do alone?

Archonar 11:51 10 Apr 2017

The 6500 uses the LGA 1151 socket, so you need an i7 with the same socket (click here for a filtered shop search).

As for whether you can do it yourself, that depends how confident you feel. It's not a complicated process, but is delicate and requires care. If you are happy to do it there is a wealth of guides and videos online that will give you all the information you need to do it, and we can help you on here. If not then a local pc repair shop will do it and it wouldn't take them long at all.

wee eddie 12:36 10 Apr 2017

You are going to be spending a considerable amount of money for an infinitesimal gain, unless you are editing movies, of course.

alanrwood 13:06 10 Apr 2017

Yes I would agree strongly with wee eddie. I run 10 machines using i5 and i7 processors and can't tell the difference in performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?