I need to know how to improve my performance

purrcy13081 21:30 10 Feb 2018

My Specs: Windows 10 64 bit Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. H81M-H Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz Memory: 8GB Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

My graphics card is the newest thing I bought but I am pretty sure I need a better CPU, Motherboard and more RAM for better perfromance and FPS. Please any advice on what to buy is greatly appreciated :)

Menzie 22:18 10 Feb 2018

The 1050ti may be the newest addition to your system but for a higher framerate it can be a bottleneck.

At 1080p for instance the 1050ti will run Rise of the Tomb Raider at an average of 43.7 frames per second on very high settings. A 1060 will do the same settings at 74.2.

Digital Foundry has done a test on the current line of Nvidia cards.

To improve gaming performance with the current card, you'll have to tweak the settings of each game and turn down some of the details. Or alternatively use the GeForce Experience software's predefined profiles for popular titles.

purrcy13081 22:36 10 Feb 2018

Thanks I get you but is there no point in buying a new Motherboard or CPU mine are pretty old?

wee eddie 22:45 10 Feb 2018

You're getting to the point that it would be more economical to do it complete rebuild

purrcy13081 22:49 10 Feb 2018

So it would be best to get a newer Motherboard and CPU first? How about more RAM? I want it to load TW Warhammer 2 fast and run very smooth and I’m just not getting that :(

Menzie 23:02 10 Feb 2018

For loading quickly an SSD if you don't already have one would make a major difference to loading.

You would get a boost by upgrading the CPU, motherboard and RAM overall but the GPU would still bottleneck things.

Menzie 23:04 10 Feb 2018

As mentioned above a rebuild may be the most economical way to go.

purrcy13081 08:53 11 Feb 2018

Do you mean a bottle neck between the CPU and GPU?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple