I have an integrated Graphics card can I remove it

Furkan Kaya 19:41 06 Dec 2016

Hello I have an Acer Aspire X1200-ED5200A whichh has an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 8200. I am not very good with computers so I don't exactly understand what it means if a graphics card is integrated. Does that mean my graphics card is in the CPU? So if this is true does that mean my Proccesor has a built in graphics card which can I install into any other pc?

Archonar 20:15 06 Dec 2016

That GPU is built into the motherboard, which means that you cannot simply remove it and install it to another pc / laptop since the motherboard is specific to that laptop and would be near impossible to transfer.

Old Deuteronomy 20:26 06 Dec 2016

Integrated GPU's are actually integrated with the CPU, part of the same piece of silicon. There is no way to remove and replace.

Furkan Kaya 21:11 06 Dec 2016

So which one of you are correct? Is the graphics card in the motherboard or the cpu?

Furkan Kaya 21:12 06 Dec 2016

If the graphics card is in the CPU can I install the CPU(with the integrated graphics card in it) to another PC and have both of them on the new pc.

Belatucadrus 21:50 06 Dec 2016

Check out the user manual HERE. Will give you a much better idea as to what's going on. The integrated graphics chip is a stand alone component on the motherboard in your case a NVIDIA NForce MCP78 692 BGA I suppose it may be possible to remove if it hasn't been soldered in but as any new MOBO designed for integrated graphics will be supplied with one already in place there's really no point in trying.

Looking in the manual your MOBO does have a PCI express slot so you could fit a dedicated graphics card if you so choose.

As to putting the CPU in another PC, yes it can be done but you need to be 100% sure that the two are compatible. If the new MOBO isn't designed to take your CPU it isn't going to work.

Archonar 16:01 07 Dec 2016

Just to clear up. The chip is a separate component (thanks for the clarification Belatucadrus!) on your motherboard not the CPU, though most CPU's nowadays come with integrated graphics you also have an Nvidia chip on the motherboard. You can't really transfer it to another pc unless the other pc has a slot on the motherboard for that specific card, you're better off buying a dedicated card for another pc. The cpu could be transferred but the Nvidia graphics wouldn't go with it.

Furkan Kaya 16:20 07 Dec 2016

Okay thank you very much all of you.I will just have to find out if the CPU is compatible with my other pc. Do any of you know where I can check compatibility of pc parts.

Archonar 16:46 07 Dec 2016

What is the make of the other pc?

Furkan Kaya 19:15 07 Dec 2016

This is the name: HP Notebook - 15-ac123na And here are the specs: click here

Furkan Kaya 19:45 07 Dec 2016

Also just to clarify my pc is an Acer Aspire x3200 NOT X1200. But I am not sure which model exactly. The CPU is an AMD Atlon x2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs smartphones Honor