I have been taken over by YAHOO

jack 09:11 06 Mar 2008

There was I happily tapping out a response on this forum- Moved the cursor to the spell check button on the FireFox/Google top bar - and it had VANISHED!
along with many other qicklinks to be replaced with YAHOO.
Now I am flummoxed- carnt spewl nuffing, cant seem to get the old desktop back - even a restore to before wont do it.
I am all upset- it has really spoiled my day!
Why did it change anyway -was it somthing I pressed?

Diodorus Siculus 09:27 06 Mar 2008

Try a system restore to a day or two ago and see what is there.

Don't know why it's changed but don't let it spoil your day :)

Technotiger 09:29 06 Mar 2008

Go to View>Toolbars you should be able to un-check Yahoo if it is there.

jack 13:43 06 Mar 2008

Diodorus Siculus
See the above- did the restore - nothing changed.

TT
Tried that already, nuffing.
Will worry later, big jobby on

jack 08:42 08 Mar 2008

This is a new system - insofar that I put in place a new primary harddrive and reinstalled Windows[XP Pro]
Then copied stuff over from the old drive.
[Not withstanding advice to use a dackup and copy across or do a Clone- none of this was satifactory it seemed ]
So I formatted and started afresh
[The best plan I thought with the thought of the reverse off the old acronym- GoGI[Garbage out/Garbage in- in mind]
However my preferred Browser/E-mail client [Mozilla] will not install on the new system- each attempt- simply crashed and wants to tell MS all about it.
Then I thought- copy the intalled Thunderbird from the old disk- This I did and it worked[Where I have always understood that intalled programs should not work this way because the copy over is incomplete]
Fire Fox did not transfer however it still crashed.
So now I[at last] installed IE7] looks OK.

The quest is though why wioll Mozilla not install?

Diodorus Siculus 13:38 08 Mar 2008

Time for a fresh install of XP choosing the option to format the drive as you go along.

AS for Yahoo, did you by any chance install CCleaner or the like which adds a yahoo toolbar unless you untick the box?

jack 10:31 10 Mar 2008

After struggle it want

Andsome 13:25 10 Mar 2008

The lesson is to carefully read what is on the screen when installing a program. Yahoo are obviously paying other companies large amounts to include their crap in with the program being installed. Only a format and re installation of Windows finally got rid of Yahoo on my computer when I installed their messenger a couple of years ago, at the request of my son when he travelled round the world. The idea was for him to keep in touch easily.

cruiser2 14:06 10 Mar 2008

I had this problem and have managed to sort it out myself. Had to make sure I had unchecked boxes in different programmes to make sure it did not re-appear in the tool bar.
Is this legal as it may be a from of inertia selling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?