I Have Been Infected By a Wierd Virus

Ex0rc1sm 23:38 25 Apr 2018

I have accidentally ran a program which installed a bunch of ads on my computer I have deleted them that was not a problem. But these wierd things keep happening like for example sometimes a file appears on my desktop without me knowing and it contains some wierd text, or sometimes I get a windows explorer pop ups for uploading files to some wierd sites I dont even know about. I did not have an antivirus installed when I launched the program. So I have decided to go ahead and Install one but everytime I search for anything related to an antivirus my browser crashes without an error. I have fetched a download link with jdownloader and I have downloaded an install exe for an antivirus however when i try to run it it launches but when I proceed to the installation it crashes. Im do not know what to do should I just do a clean reinstall? However I do not want to do it as I have over a 1tb of files on my computer currently. I have noticed a strange program in my processes in my task manager. Its called element.exe but whenever I end the process I get a pop up that windows ran into an critical error and will have to restart in 1 minute.When it restarts the element.exe is back there again. I have a file saved that just popped up on my desktop its a .css file full of code i could maybe upload it If that would be required. Also in my task managers there is a processe for a sql server which is probably part of the virus.

wee eddie 00:22 26 Apr 2018

I'm at work at the present but, if I remember rightly McAfee have a free Stinger which works over your normal AV.

You also need to download and run Malwarebytes

Ex0rc1sm 00:38 26 Apr 2018

UPDATE:

I have managed to install Avast Antivirus and as I suspected "element.exe" was a virus.

Avast has taken care of that one however the problem with my browser still persists.

Whenever I try to search for something related to an antivirus my browser crashes.

I am curennt installing Malware Bytes as Wee Eddie suggested and running a full pc scan with avast. (Currenly at 30%)

Will post back results.

wee eddie 01:08 26 Apr 2018

Once you've done that. Download CCleaner Free and run that. You can use its Registry cleaner

wiganken2 08:36 26 Apr 2018

You can get free one-time find & fix online virus scans. ESET does one. click here There are others who also do these free scans. Just search for "online virus scan" omitting the quotes.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?