I have 4 DVD-roms (according to belarc)

dagbladet 22:48 22 Oct 2003

After I did a clean re-install of XP home, I was making coasters, so checked the properties of my rom drives to discover 1 x CDRW listed (correct), and 3 x DVD readers (I have one). I ran belarc which says the following:

CD-ROM Drive
H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
H + H DVD-ROM DVD-41SD SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B [CD-ROM drive]
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B [CD-ROM drive]

I don't know which are the correct drives. Does it matter ? Can/should I do anything about it ?
Thanks in advance.
Dag

dagbladet 23:38 22 Oct 2003

^

dagbladet 00:22 23 Oct 2003

Rubbish it may be but Aida says the same, 1 cdrw AND 3 dvd-roms.

dagbladet 09:35 23 Oct 2003

Same in device manager.
What if I uninstalled them all and re-booted. Would XP then find the ones that really exist, or is that completely barking.

Stuartli 09:55 23 Oct 2003

Why not just use Windows/XP's own System Information facility through Programs/Accessories/System Tools?

It lists every program, driver, hardware, programs etc in fully comprehensive detail...:-)

Meanwhile, why not sell three of the four DVD-ROM drives and make a bit of cash...:-))

dagbladet 10:06 23 Oct 2003

Same, anyone want to buy one.

dagbladet 10:29 23 Oct 2003

temp003 I think you're right, those two SCSI devices show as 5 changes remaining with no region selected, the other shows region 2 with 4 remaining which ties in. What is SCSI anyway ?

dagbladet 12:20 23 Oct 2003

uninstalled the 2 spurious SCSI ones, re-booted, machine started, stuttered a bit, re-started, stuttered again, calmed down, now I have ....THREE!!! Phantom SCSI DVD-ROMs. I'm still not sure wether I should be worrying about this.

Stuartli 14:19 23 Oct 2003

SCSI versions are worth more...:-)

I would try removing all the "drives" again via Device Manager and also check that the only driver being used is the basic Windows one, which is all that is required for ROM and rewriter drives.

If another driver is listed - you could delete it anyway even if the standard one is named - remove this as well and let both drive and driver reinstall themselves.

You can also find out which driver has been installed through the above mentioned Windows System Information, which will also reveal how many times it/they have been installed and the dates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)