I can't restore backed up files onto my new PC

ianrwhittaker 05:58 12 Sep 2019

Hi, I had backed up my files from our old computer onto an iomega backup hard drive. We have just purchased a new computer and tried to restore the files onto it. However, while it detects the drive, when i run Recovery Manager, a message comes up stating that "Recovery Manager could not restore the file..." for each backed-up item. I can see in File Explorer that each of the files is still there. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? The old PC must have been ten years plus old so I didn't know whether it had anything to do with a newer version of Windows on the new PC causing issues etc. Thanks a lot.

ianrwhittaker 10:46 12 Sep 2019

Thank you. Not at home now but will do when I get back.

ianrwhittaker 20:21 15 Sep 2019

Thanks

lotvic 12:30 16 Sep 2019

FE has deleted a spammer's post.

ianrwhittaker It would help if you give full details of the old pc, windows version, Recovery manager program and method used to create the backup.
And details of new pc, name/make of program and each step of method used to attempt recovery of files.

lotvic 12:43 16 Sep 2019

If you still have the harddrive from your old pc you could put it into a caddy and copy the files to your new pc.

Forum Editor 14:01 16 Sep 2019

Please don't keep starting new threads on this topic - keep all posts to this one.

deeppal 08:26 19 Oct 2019

As suggested in the bio, Stillbonsoftware is very good at restoring lost data. You need to install it on a working system drive, attach your damaged drive and a different target drive that has enough blank space to receive the salvaged version of the deleted file.Support Data Recovery from Internal & External Hard Drive. Software support to restore lost files and folders from desktop PC, Computer and Laptop.

grumpy old man 09:43 19 Oct 2019

as others have said , instead of using the recovery manager it would be easier to open all drives and either copy and paste or drag over what you want.

what type of files etc are you wanting to move

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:55 19 Oct 2019

old thread reopened by deeppal who is a spammer

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)