Hyperlinks not working

Newuser3068 11:26 29 Aug 2003

I run IE 5.5 under Windows ME. Recently I have had an odd problem with hyperlinks. Sometimes when I click on a link the screen just flickers once and nothing else happens - I don't jump to the link target. I get a report in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen: "Error on page". This seems to happen with hyperlinked text. but not with proper buttons.
The same problem occurs when I click on a highlighted URL in an email - instead of IE launching and going to the website, I just get the screen flick and nothing else.

Incidentally, I also run NoAds popup stopper - could this be involved in the problem?

Any suggestions please?

hugh-265156 12:56 29 Aug 2003

error on page,its more than likely the websites fault.

update IE to version 6 click here

powerless 17:47 29 Aug 2003

click here

"Incidentally, I also run NoAds popup stopper - could this be involved in the problem?" - Stop it from running and you'll know.

Newuser3068 18:58 29 Aug 2003

Powerless - I'm embarrassed that you had to do my thinking for me! I'll try it, and thanks.

Huggy - I've considered upgrading to IE6, but I imagine it's a hell of a long download (out in the sticks with only a dreadful dial-up connection). Is it really enough of an improvement on IE5.5 to be worth the time and trouble? Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)