Huge problem with laptop!

jamtarts 17:33 01 Apr 2007

Ok,it's an Evesham laptop,the problem is that that laptop went completely kaput,i re-formatted the partition but when it was complete it said that NTLDR is missing,does anybody know what that is? I then tried to re-install windows XP with the recovery disc but when i get to the screen that it starts to copy the files into C:/WINDOWS it gets to 2% then it restarts on it's own,i've tried it a few times but it keeps doing it!

--------------------------------------------------

I have another laptop that i have a small problem with,the no.2 button with the " sign on it,when i press it to get the quotes it's the @ sign that comes up and when i press the button with the @ sign it's the " sign that comes up,does anyone know how to rectify this problem,also i tried to get AOL installed on this computer,it finds the modem but it won't or can't find a network connection!

VoG II 17:36 01 Apr 2007

For the @ and " problem, Control Panel, Regional and Language Options, Languages tab, Details button, set the keyboard to United Kingdom.

jamtarts 17:44 01 Apr 2007

Thank you VoG,that's one problem solved,now only another dozen to go!lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 01 Apr 2007

NTLDR is missing

take the cd out of the drive when it reboots during the install process.

jamtarts 18:03 01 Apr 2007

Still comes up NTLDR is missing!

realist 18:08 01 Apr 2007

click here
any help?

jamtarts 18:35 01 Apr 2007

Nah,i think the first laptop is totally kaput!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:00 01 Apr 2007

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?