recap 12:27 22 Oct 2004

I am developing a site that needs to be secure, an https site?

I have looked on a domain name registry site for guidance but could not find any. Does this type of site require any form of special license.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

  igk 14:01 22 Oct 2004

Domain names have nothing at all to do with HTTPS this type of url is generated by security software on a server and you would need to apply and get a security certificate to run a secure server (hence the padlock icon in the taskbar)

  recap 14:03 22 Oct 2004

Thanks igk. Is that Verisign Authentication?

  igk 14:09 22 Oct 2004

Yes I think so,you could do a google on that sort of security or you could use a third party to do the work like CCBILL or some other merchandising company (obviously they will charge a commision)there are plenty around just make sure you read thier terms&conditions etc.I used CCBILL for about a year but they only deal with services like access to member area websites and not buying goods.

  recap 14:19 22 Oct 2004

Again thanks for your help igk, I think I have now found the information I require to get secure site status.

  Forum Editor 13:17 23 Oct 2004

that https is simply for transactional sites - where people are paying by credit card, or are passing confidential information to you.

Otherwise there are better, cheaper ways of securing server directories.

  recap 12:14 26 Oct 2004

Thanks FE, it is the latter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?