HP ZBook G2 motherboard temperature ?

Pieter Baasje 11:21 27 Jul 2018
Answered

Hi, I have a well-behaving Zbook G2 but suddenly the fan is now on at moderate speed at all times. I have cleaned the fan/fan area (was not very dusty): no change. In the BIOS the fan is not set to be ON when on power supply, and no change was made recently. The Speccy tool shows :

Operating System. 
        Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1.

CPU. Intel Core i7 4810MQ @ 2.80GHz 79 °C.

Haswell 22nm Technology.

RAM. 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28).

Motherboard. Hewlett-Packard 2253 (U3E1)    85 °C.

Graphics.

Generic PnP Monitor ([email protected]).

PLE2407HDS ([email protected]).

Intel (HP).

2047MB NVIDIA Quadro K2100M (HP)    49 °C

ForceWare version: 373.06.

SLI Disabled.

Storage.

238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256G SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))    38 °C.

238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Seri SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD))    28 °C.

The motherboard's 85 degrees (even just after startup) never changes. Seems to me this might be the problem. Could someone with a G2 try to see if this is the case for them too ?

Thank you !

rdave13 14:29 27 Jul 2018

Surely it should be set to on when on power supply? Does it have Coolsense installed and running?link .

Pieter Baasje 15:45 27 Jul 2018

Sorry, the setting is something like "Fan permanently ON when on power supply", meaning the fan will keep running all the time. If not set to ON, the fan runs when needed. This notebook does not have the necessary hardware for Coolsense.

wee eddie 16:21 27 Jul 2018

I noticed that the sun has been shining today!

Pieter Baasje 18:41 27 Jul 2018
Answer

\> the sun has been shining

Yes, but here in the mountains it's only just cool...

Pieter Baasje 20:37 29 Jul 2018

OK, after some more intensive cleaning, opening back and vacuuming all visible holes and vents again, problem is solved. The Speccy motherboard temp. reading is now alive (variable) again, generally around 45 degrees C instead of fixed 85 degrees. And fan is quiet again most of the time.

rdave13 20:54 29 Jul 2018

Thanks for the feedback. Case vents as important as interior dust. Nowt like the obvious ;-/

wee eddie 21:45 29 Jul 2018

Most Pc's work fine with a limited amount of dust but, curl up their toes come the warm summer weather

rdave13 22:01 29 Jul 2018

Most Pc's work fine with a limited amount of dust but, curl up their toes come the warm summer weather

Not if maintained, including laptops, that the intake and exhaust areas are kept clear. Commonsense really.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs