HP Photosmart 4480 - any good?

Carafaraday 12:33 12 Nov 2008

Does anyone own this printer? Is it worth getting for basic home use?

Pineman100 12:56 12 Nov 2008

I can't comment on the 4480, but I have the Photosmart 4180 - it's about 18 months old.

Comments on the 4180? On the whole, it's fine. It's been reliable and produces good images. For printing photos I don't bother with the extra photo ink cartridge - I'm very happy with what I get from just the black and tricolour.

Scanning is pretty good. Just be careful about the default sharpening setting that the scanning software is set to. I find it that it tends to oversharpen, resulting sometimes in a rather hard, edgy image. But it's easy enough to reduce that setting.

Ink costs aren't cheap, but they're probably no higher than I have experience with other makes of inkjet.

One final tip - if the 4480 is anything like my 4180, keep an eye on the left-hand sliding paper guide. It has habit of slipping loose rather too easily and allowing the paper to feed a bit crooked. It just needs checking regularly.

MAJ 12:57 12 Nov 2008

HP printers are usually pretty good, but the cartridges are expensive, I use compatibles from ChoiceStationery but they don't seem to have any for the HP Photosmart 4480. I use the Photosmart 7350 which isn't an all-in-one, btw.

Carafaraday 13:12 12 Nov 2008

Many thanks to both MAJ and Pineman100 for your helpful comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)