Hp Pavilion ZE4800 Laptop Problem

Llyffant 21:37 24 Nov 2008

My laptop has developed a problem as follows:
when switched on it goes to the screen offering Safe Mode, etc and unless changed eventually opts for normal start and continues to load. The Windows XP page starts to load but after a few seconds a message flashes across the screen too quickly to be read and the laptop restarts itself.
Can anyone possibly suggest what the problem might be or whether there's anyway of catching the error screen before it disappears and the laptop restarts again.
Many thanks

The Potter 23:13 24 Nov 2008

Sorry Llyffant, I can't offer any solution but my posting will raise your post up and maybe draw more attention.

In the meantime (and I am no expert), have you downloaded/installed a new programme recently or visited a website that maybe caused the machine to restart? In my own experience (which is not professional) this sounds like a dodgy programme or a bug from online.

Don't get scarred though, I speak only from experience which is limited to me alone, mostly.

I hope you get a speedy reponse because this is standard stuff for techno bods and there are many on here :thumbsup:

TP

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:25 24 Nov 2008

Do any of the other options work?
Last Known Good Configuration should be your first choice.

If no options work then try a repair of XP if you have (or can borrow) a CD.
Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Indie publisher Canongate’s top 10 book covers of 2017

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Tablettes Amazon Fire : quel modèle choisir ?