HP Pavilion G6 fitted new SSD problem with Win 7

Keith Turner 18:19 28 Nov 2018

The original hard drive has died totally. It is an 'old' machine 2012 Replaced drive with a 240 Gb SSD installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Ultimate that's OK but no drivers for USB, Network etc so can't download & install Drivers from HP website. None of the hardware is recognised by windows so no drivers! Hadn't thought of this as a problem as windows can usually install generic drivers to get you going but not this time. How on earth can I install drivers if I can't connect to anything? All I can think is to put the SSD drive into a caddy & connect it to my desktop PC & download drivers via that. Any better Ideas?

rdave13 09:25 29 Nov 2018

Using another PC download the drivers from the HP site then transfer via a USB flash drive. Copy to the problem PC and install.

Keith Turner 08:38 30 Nov 2018

Thanks for that suggestion, why didn't I think of that, brain dead! much easier!

Keith Turner 10:23 30 Nov 2018

Slight problem Windows has not installed the USB controller!so that I can't do that! Very strange you would have thought that would have been installed. Maybe this machine has a mainboard fault. It did appear to have problems when tested by a local repair firm, but I think the drive problem maybe obscured this fact.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 30 Nov 2018

device manager - scan for new hardware

does that find anything?

also check in BIOS o see what is enabled / disabled.

rdave13 13:16 30 Nov 2018

If it sees the optical drive burn the drivers to a CD.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?