HP Pavilion G6 fitted new SSD problem with Win 7

Keith Turner 18:19 28 Nov 2018

The original hard drive has died totally. It is an 'old' machine 2012 Replaced drive with a 240 Gb SSD installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Ultimate that's OK but no drivers for USB, Network etc so can't download & install Drivers from HP website. None of the hardware is recognised by windows so no drivers! Hadn't thought of this as a problem as windows can usually install generic drivers to get you going but not this time. How on earth can I install drivers if I can't connect to anything? All I can think is to put the SSD drive into a caddy & connect it to my desktop PC & download drivers via that. Any better Ideas?

Keith Turner 08:38 30 Nov 2018

Thanks for that suggestion, why didn't I think of that, brain dead! much easier!

Keith Turner 10:23 30 Nov 2018

Slight problem Windows has not installed the USB controller!so that I can't do that! Very strange you would have thought that would have been installed. Maybe this machine has a mainboard fault. It did appear to have problems when tested by a local repair firm, but I think the drive problem maybe obscured this fact.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 30 Nov 2018

device manager - scan for new hardware

does that find anything?

also check in BIOS o see what is enabled / disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)