HP Pav Desktop PC- Should I restore/recover to original settings?

buel 17:27 16 May 2014

Hi all, I have just bought a second hand old desktop XP HP Pavilion 473 for my friend who's PC has died (I have another thread on that). It seems to run fine although very slow to leave the blue 'HP' screen at start up. My question is, it has a recovery partition. Should/can I use it to restore the PC to it's original settings? Would I lose anything (other than added on programs and any data stored)by doing this please?

Thank you in advance.

buel 18:08 16 May 2014

Hmmm...I see. However, I think I have the SPs on disc somewhere. So would using the recovery partition to restore have ANY negatives other than needing to install SP 1, 2 and 3?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 16 May 2014

No

Positive is it should get rid of the junk build up and should run faster.

Can you use the memory / HDD from the old machine to improve the new one?

buel 18:29 16 May 2014

Could do as this one is has only 512mb.....however, I may leave the RAM increase to my brother. I am hoping to replace the HD on the other (old) machine as it would seem that that is the problem.)

Please can I ask for some of your preferred instructions to restore this HP, please? PS- Don't you get tired of always helping, FB?

buel 21:24 16 May 2014

Wow!! Thank you so very much for that. It is working.....

buel 21:56 16 May 2014

Grrr......I have installed my Edimax wireless 11n USB using the driver disc that came with it and the wireless LAN utility window is up but it just wont find any networks (there are plenty and this computer I am typing on is connected by it)

Any ideas, please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:49 16 May 2014

use the windows wireless network instead

buel 11:30 17 May 2014

OK, having a bit of a nightmare. I'm using the recovery partition and it seems stuck on 32% (has been for over 30 minutes) and 'Program files\Adoba\Acrobat\ 5.0\Resource\ENUtxt.pdf

Earlier I had to click on 'OK' when similar messages to these diplayed: click here

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/craigten/media/170520141819.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s199.photobucket.com/user/craigten/media/170520141818.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

buel 13:24 17 May 2014

OK, I used an XP CD to reinstall XP and it is now perfect. However, the first thing I tried to do is install the Edimax Wireless U SB so I could download the relevant antivirus etc. Unfortunately I still have the sam problem where it does not see any wireless networks?

buel 13:31 17 May 2014

This is what I see when I try to use the Windows version: click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 17 May 2014

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

Click Set up a new connection or network.

Click Set up a new network, and then click Next.

The wizard will walk you through creating a network name and a security key. If your router will support it, the wizard will default to Wi‑Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2) security. WPA2 offers better security than WPA or Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) security. With WPA2 or WPA you can also use a passphrase, so you don’t have to remember a cryptic sequence of letters and numbers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi A3 Review: Hands-on

Women creative grads – this is how you fix the industry

The best Mac antivirus of 2019

Comment diminuer le buffering sur Kodi ?